Best large condenser microphone?

fantompauer

Hi, i have my hypothetical studio mapped in my head now and am set on all the parts except the vocal condenser. My budget isn't very big and Im in europe so things are a bit more expensive. I first thought the Rode NT1a would be a good bet, but having read up on m-s recording techniques I really want some thing that could double as a vocal mike and the figure 8 mike in an ms pair. So now im thinking of the studioprojects c3, which has switchable patterns.
If anyone could think of any other good mikes in this sort of range for these applications I would be really really grateful
thanks

To date I've yet to hear a Rode mic that I would classify anywhere near "best". If you're looking at the SP line, check out the T3 which is actually a very nice sounding tube mic indeed with variable patterns.

To repeat what you've probably heard before, there is no best mic. But in what I am assuming is your price range the T3 is a strong performer.

Hey I like the clever use of user name...

War

Thanks,
Would it be crazy to try to use a tube microphone (or any large condenser)with no pad as part of a ms pair on drums, just how cautious of spl should I be when doing this?
Also how does the C3 (in my range) compare to the t3 (unfortunately just out of it)

There's no such thing as a 'best' microphone, if you want stereo micing like MS or Blumlein you need a pair of neutral sounding mics with a fig 8 pattern. Besides that you'll need a very good sounding room because in bothe MS and Blumlein you will record the room's acoustics.

Every mic has it's strong and weak points though.

Does Locally in Europe Save Money?

fantompauer said:
Hi, i have my hypothetical studio mapped in my head now and am set on all the parts except the vocal condenser. My budget isn't very big and Im in europe so things are a bit more expensive.
thanks

These Russian mics have a pretty good history. I don't know how any savings might relate to you being in europe. It is a crazy world, but you may find them locally at a reasonable price.
http://sound-room.com/customer/product.php?productid=104&cat=2&page=1

fantompauer said:
Thanks,
Would it be crazy to try to use a tube microphone (or any large condenser)with no pad as part of a ms pair on drums, just how cautious of spl should I be when doing this?
Also how does the C3 (in my range) compare to the t3 (unfortunately just out of it)

You'd have to have one HELL of a high SPL to matter much.

The C3 is a fairly neutral mic, if it's in your range go for it.

War

i dont think i can add anymore.the guys explained it well,soon someday there will be 1 mic for everything!!!!!!but just not today

No there will never be ONE mic, that would mean we would all have to have the same opinion. When hell freezes over.

Back