Best Large Condenser Mic Under 99 Cents?

Buck62

噛んでくれ
Man, these "best mic" threads are getting old.

Doesn't anybody utilize the "search" function anymore? :confused:

Is there no-one who can lock them? Or maybe an auto-lock function for threads containing the word "best"?

Someone should just go ahead and make a nice webpage comaparing mics that are cheap.

Then we could post a link in a sticky topic and we wouldn't have to deal with this stuff so much.

Sloan said:
Someone should just go ahead and make a nice webpage comaparing mics that are cheap.

Then we could post a link in a sticky topic and we wouldn't have to deal with this stuff so much.

I sincerely doubt that would help...

Ahhh, man!!!

Here I thought I was going to get a recommendation for a good mic for under $0.99!

Dang it! That was right in my price range and everything... ;)

You damn cheapskates! You get what you pay for. Mr. Microphone can be had for $10 on ebay, and it's an established standard of the industry. Just do it, you pikers!-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
You damn cheapskates! You get what you pay for. Mr. Microphone can be had for $10 on ebay
I second the endorsement of Mr. Microphone! I like mine so much that I am saving up for a matched pair.

Except, I am actually waiting for the release of the "Mrs. Microphone". Since I am not so comfortable with having 2 Mr. Microphones paired up. (I'm just not quite that tolerant, I guess...) :o

Here I thought I was going to get a recommendation for a good mic for under $0.99
take the piezo speaker out of something that has one or go buy one at Rat Shack the wire it up backwards and put a quarter inch plug on the end, now tape it to the body of an accoustic guitar. you now have a very cheap contact mic/pick up for guitar or other string instruments.

geet73 said:
Meh. That thing hasn't been updated in a lonnng time.
Oh please! A number of people spent a LOT of time overhauling it all last summer. How many essential new mics have been released which have revolutionised the marketplace since then? :rolleyes: :mad:

Actually I did use that faq as I was recently researching my options. It was pretty helpful. But I found that starting a topic stating my EXACT intended uses for a mic and what others were happy with helped too.

PS The best condensor for under .99 cents is the Radio Shack 3000XL mic. But remember you gotta have phantom power!!! It sounds just like an U87!!! I've heard pro's mention they couldn't tell a difference!!!

But remember you gotta have phantom power!!!

Hmmm...sounds just like a U87...now I need to rig up a phantom power outlet in my studio.

justharold said:
Ahhh, man!!!

Here I thought I was going to get a recommendation for a good mic for under $0.99!

Dang it! That was right in my price range and everything... ;)

For a $0.99 mic, you are still going to need at least a $0.05 preamp to capture all of the subtle nuances and low level transients.
That puts the price tag at a buck four.
Then you gotta figure in tax/vat ... that puts it well over the realm of us starving musicians. :eek:

It occurs to me that the very **best** way to pick out a cheap mic is to go to Harmony Central, read the inflated reviews of the cheapos, and then just tell everyone that the one you have selected has incredible detail, vanishingly low self-noise, brings out the best in singers, etc (I don't have to repeat it all from the reviews here for you, but you get the idea). Don't forget to compare it favorably to a Neumann (whatever THAT is). It's every bit as good a system as picking out a guitar by its color.

Remember: it's the world's responsibility to provide you with pro-grade tools for low prices (not to mention rackmount units that make your recordings sound like Steely Dan without you having to actually learn how to use any of it), and when it doesn't, then just hold your breath until it does!

justharold said:
I second the endorsement of Mr. Microphone! I like mine so much that I am saving up for a matched pair.

Except, I am actually waiting for the release of the "Mrs. Microphone". Since I am not so comfortable with having 2 Mr. Microphones paired up. (I'm just not quite that tolerant, I guess...) :o

Sorry, but you've completely missed the point of the Mr. Microphone! It's original "commercial" application and intended use ---picking up girls in your convertible! A matched pair I suppose would be good for picking up twins.

great idea

justharold said:

hey maybe if you get a Mrs. Microphone to go with Mr. Microphone they can have little baby microphones! If she has the right kind of "input."
Just a thought!

Back