Best INEXPENSIVE Microphone for Scream and Rap Vocals?

TattedOakTree

My budget for a microphone is 300$. I have heard vocals on the Blue Bird, Blue Yeti, Blue Snowball, Blue Baby Bottle, Blue Spark, Audio Technical AT2020, and Shure 57 and Shure 58. Screaming sounds the best on the Shures, and Rap and Singing sounds the best on the Yeti. I don't want a microphone that is really warm and rich, I'm not doing Podcasts, but I don't want a Microphone that sounds paper-thin. And yes, some Microphones record Rap vocals better than others. I'd prefer a Microphone that I can hold in my hand or have on a stand over a Microphone that is meant to be on a stand. But whatever works! Thank you! ?

iPod? :laughings:
Seriously, Blue are usually overpriced for what you get, but lots of rappers are using them. You could possibly find one at a pawn and get both mikes in your price range...
I have several friends that are rappers and all of them like the sound of my MXL 2001. Worth a check in the $200 range. Lots of people knock MXL cause of the 990/991, but they make some good mikes as well... :D

Thanks for the replies, guys! I was messing around on YouTube and decided to listen to a few more Shure SM58 recordings and they blew me away! I don't know why I didn't like the other recordings... Maybe I was somehow too quick to judge or didn't think the Shure would sound as great as it does. Rices nicely too. Thanks again!

I believe the SM58 is an over-priced antique that should be put to rest. There are lots of more modern hand-held dynamics that can run circles around the 58 any day of the week. For example, check out the EV - N/D767a or perhaps Heil - PR22.

Go do some A/B testing with vocals. You'll never go back.

I believe the SM58 is an over-priced antique that should be put to rest. There are lots of more modern hand-held dynamics that can run circles around the 58 any day of the week. For example, check out the EV - N/D767a or perhaps Heil - PR22.

Go do some A/B testing with vocals. You'll never go back.

Dude you can buy used SM58's all day long for $50-60 bucks if you look around . Plus you can bash your always late bass player over the head with it , drop it in a pitcher of beer, then prop open the load out door after the show and the damn thing will still work at your next gig ! Im not arguing there are not better sounding mics but if your on a budget ....you cant do much better than a 58.

also don't forget to get a cloudlifter, and don't bother with alternatives, shure is the standard, you are not SHURE then don't get one...cheers.

FWIW, I've had a lot of success in both arenas using the Sennheiser MK4 and the Shure SM7. Both sit right around your price point when purchased new and both sound fantastic.

I know this is two weeks old and someone else just "resurrected" it, so to speak, but the MOST common microphone for screaming vocals is the SM7b. For rap it's not too uncommon either, but for screamers like in metal, 100% suggest SM7b.

Wow ! Nice advice with the... N/D737a .... Great work Horse Mic that never gets the props that it deserves, Worked with a Live Sound Company that had four of em in the bottom of the mic case, would pull em out for the Cookie Monster Metal Vocals, should be be fine with Rap Artist,
And of course a SM58.....or
AKG D-5

I know this is two weeks old and someone else just "resurrected" it, so to speak, but the MOST common microphone for screaming vocals is the SM7b. For rap it's not too uncommon either, but for screamers like in metal, 100% suggest SM7b.

And why SM-7b's in spit & sawdust studios across the world smell awful...

I like the sm58 on my voice (I rap), a high pass filter, a boost around 8k, and it sits great in the beat usually with some reverb and comp.

Back