Best guitar mic for the money

PRS Addict

I am currently in the process of designing and building a recording studio in my house, and was doing some research on effective, relatively inexpensive, guitar amplifier mics. I am currently using a Sennheiser E609 and I absolutely love it. However, my project requires another mic for another amp. I was looking around and found the Sennheiser E906, which seems to be slightly better than the E609, but I am still unsure whether to buy another E609 or an E906. Any suggestions? Any ideas of other mics that might be useful? Thank you for your time.

I know I sound like a broken record when I say this...but get yourself a Cascade Fat Head ribbon mic and you'll forget about the 609 and 57.

I have a pair of each of those mics, and the Fat Head mics get all the guitar cab gigs. I never liked the sound of the 609 and 57, but they could be made to work. With the Fat Head...you can put it up blind and it will sound perfect. About the only thing you might end up doing is rolling off the low end to taste when you mix, otherwise the guitar track just bloom with the Fat Head.

sennheiser tops Shure any day. Go with the e906. it sounds much better than the 609 and the 57. (i hate 57s on guitars by themselves)

I know I sound like a broken record when I say this...but get yourself a Cascade Fat Head ribbon mic and you'll forget about the 609 and 57.

I have a pair of each of those mics, and the Fat Head mics get all the guitar cab gigs. I never liked the sound of the 609 and 57, but they could be made to work. With the Fat Head...you can put it up blind and it will sound perfect. About the only thing you might end up doing is rolling off the low end to taste when you mix, otherwise the guitar track just bloom with the Fat Head.

Yes a broken record but with very sound advice Miro.
A ribbon microphone on a guitar cab will save the day every time.

worth considering a used Shure Unidyne III used from ebay. Every bit as good as an sm57 for much less $$$. Like an sm57 just a different flavour. Pair it up with a ribbon for extra goodness

I recently got a pair of Fat head ribbons, I did a session on the weekend where we had a fat head and a sm57 on the cab, blended the two to get the sound we wanted, sounded great. Before the fat heads arrived I would have used a large condenser and a sm57, this also sounds good but different. If I had time I would have tried a large condenser and the fat head.

Alan.

Back