Best dynamic mic for αlpha Lexicon.

Glubschi1997

Hey guys, i just got an alpha Lexicon Preamplifier from a friend, and i wanna buy a new Dynamic XLR Mic for this Preamplifier. After a few searches i decided to go for the t.bone RB 500, but before i bought it, i realised that the problem is that the sensitivity of this mic is -60dB and the alpha Lexicon is just capable to manage -50dB. So now i dont know if i should buy a dynamic mic which has a lower sensitivity or just buy a better preamplifier.

What will you be doing with it. Ribbons are rarely useful mics for recording quiet sources, or louder ones at a distance. The lexicon is not a bad product but designed to work with mics nearer to sound sources than one of the more expensive, better performing preamps. If you want to record vocals with it, reasonably close in, I'd guess it would be fine. Recording a soloist in a choir from 20 feet away, maybe might stress the preamp. However - as Thomann will happily let you return it if you don't like it, why not just try it?

Dynamics of most kinds have lower sensitivity than condensers, and ribbons tend to be a little on the deaf side - but for many uses, that doesn't matter.

Buy it and try it!

What will you be doing with it. Ribbons are rarely useful mics for recording quiet sources, or louder ones at a distance. The lexicon is not a bad product but designed to work with mics nearer to sound sources than one of the more expensive, better performing preamps. If you want to record vocals with it, reasonably close in, I'd guess it would be fine. Recording a soloist in a choir from 20 feet away, maybe might stress the preamp. However - as Thomann will happily let you return it if you don't like it, why not just try it?

Dynamics of most kinds have lower sensitivity than condensers, and ribbons tend to be a little on the deaf side - but for many uses, that doesn't matter.

Buy it and try it!

Thank you for this fast reply.

At first i have to say that i want to use a mic for just simple talks with my friends over Teamspeak or skype.

I know that a USB mic will be enough for this needs, but i also want to record maybe my acoustic guitar or my voice later.

So do you think that there will no problem with the t.bone mic on the alpha lexicon, because i read somewhere that it possible wont let any sound trough because of the high sensitivity??

If you really want to use a dynamic mic, I would go with a shure sm58 (or 57, for that matter).

Personally, I would go with a cheap condenser, because they have higher output and will be more than you need for your setup, for about the same money.

A ribbon would be my last choice, as in-if I had no other choice, I would reluctantly make the ribbon work...because I have no other choice.

First thing is that you've got a bit confused about the 'letting the sound through'. Dynamic mics just have a lower output for a specific volume level compared to others. Ribbons are anther matter. I've got just one left in my mic collection, and I use it now for two things. It used to be three, because I had another and in a Blumlein configuration they were good for recordings in great space in stereo. Then I dropped one and ruined it. Now I use it as the side mic in M/S and occasionally as an interview mic where two people sit face to face. I wouldn't use it close in as a mic for speech because it hears a lot of room sound, and they're very sensitive to breath plosives!

Buy an SM58 NOT from ebay, because they're all fakes - buy one from a proper dealer like Studiospares, Thomann and the other real firms.

The preamp thing, in terms of dB, is tricky to explain, but the mic gain control is the way to match the mics output to the preamps input - so at one end a loud signal does not generate the maximum digital level - and going over this produces very nasty sounding distortion. Equally, at the other end, the preamp has a low limit of useful audio gain. A quiet sound from a distance is tiny, and as the preamps at modest prices cannot cope with VERY loud to VERY quiet, you can find that your quiet signal is masked by hiss. A better preamp can give less noise at a lower output from the mic. Having a dynamic close to your lips produces lots of level, so a preamp that is a bit noisy when turned up is less important. You really need to try some - do you know any bands? Borrow a few mics and try them out, then buy the best sounding one to suit what you're doing.
I'd dump all intentions with USB because it's a big bottleneck in the versatility stakes.

Thank you all for the fast and helpfull replies!!

I just decided to buy the shure sm58, i will give you feedback as soon i get them from thoman.

Hey guy i just got my ShureSM58.
But unfortunately i have some problems

1.When i record with Windows Audio Recorder, i just get Sound from the right side.

2.Even when i turned the Line2/Mic Knob all right, i just get a very quiet sound from the Mic.

3. There are no settings available for the alpha Lexicon where i can just make some settings...

Thx, i hope you can help me:confused:

Back