Best condenser mic for vocals in the 300-600$ price range

Colwarter

I'm going to purchase a condenser mic mainly for vocals and a little bit for acoustic guitars. I'd like to know which do you think is the best mic in the 300-600$ price range. I've already considered the Blue bluebird, the Audio-Technica AT4050 and the Rode NTK. Please give me your opinion about these mics but if you have other suggestions feel free to mention them. Thanks a lot !!!

lol...
thanks, I already did that. But I want you to compare especially the 3 mics I mentionned, cause these are the three I considered.

Colwarter said:
lol...
thanks, I already did that. But I want you to compare especially the 3 mics I mentionned, cause these are the three I considered.
In my opinion, it's generally pointless to compare mics, especially in the sub $1,000 range. They are going to have different things that they are "best" at. You listed 3 mics and asked which is the best for vocals. Well...which vocals? Male? Female? Lower range or higher? Light airy voice or full voice? Want a bright tone or a dark tone or a medium tone? There is no BEST overall mic.

And what everyone is telling you is basically it doesn't matter what you buy because there will be a time where any one of the mics you pick won't sound right either on vocals or on an acoustic, with mic's it just depends. I own a blue baby bottle and love it but on male vocals not so much, I tend to use it on acoustic guitars, and for a room mic, it really seems to shine on female vocals. And the other problem is the three mics you're comparing are pretty different from each other, just buy all three.

I recommend spending a bit more, maybe in the 900 to 1K range. You may not be happy with it for every occasion, but you will probably keep it forever. Some options in that range might be the AT4060, Soundelux U195, Gefell m930, Peluso 2247. I have nover heard anything negative about any of these, but they are all different mics with different flavors. The AT mics are good all-around mics, there is the Shure KSM44 that is at the peak of your price range. These mics are going to differ soundwise depending on the preamp you are using, how good your signal chain is, and the room acoustics as well.

Hope that helps even a little.

sE Electronics Z3300A

I've owned a Neumann tlm103, Rode Classic, and a Studio Projects C1. The C1 was a big disappointment, but I listened to the irresponsible reviews written by a few well-known people claiming it was as good as a U87 and fell victim to MAJOR buyer's remorse! If you're looking for a good all around mic for around $500, I'd highly recommend a sE Electronics Z3300, which I've just purchased. I've used Marshall mics, and like I said, the C1, but as far as Chinese mics go, the Z3300A is in a completely different class. Unlike all the other Chinese mics I've heard, the sE has an expensive sound about it, and my god if I don't love it!! It isn't hyped sounding like a tlm103, nor is it as big sounding as a Rode Classic, but coupled with my Peavey VMP-2, it sounds organically natural, yet clear; magically fluid and dimensional on vocals and acoustic guitar. Guitar transients just pop out at you! It just sounds so damn good!!! On singers and acoustic guitar, it really gives an honest representation of the source. For vocals, it sounds wonderful with no eq (perhaps a couple db cut in the lower mids, depending on the vocalist) for a folk/jazz type singer. For pop music, a little high end boost at 10 or 11Khz gives it that sparkly pop vocal sound, that with gentle compression, sits in the mix like a bird in a tree. This mic is smooth; both tonally and how it translates volume fluctuations. (By comparison, the tlm was a bear to get an even volume level with through the course of a whole song, unless the singer was well trained or more compression was utilized, due to being a tad too sensitive for my taste.) Every mic has it's own signature eq curve, and the Z3300's sound is such that it responds very well to eq applied down the signal chain, making it extremely versatile, applications-wise. For general purpose recording, and if you are only able to afford one large diaphragm condensor, a neutrally honest, feature laden mic like the Z3300 is the only way to go. I hope this helps...

Last edited:
Plimsoul said:
I've owned a Neumann tlm103, Rode Classic, and a Studio Projects C1. The C1 was a big disappointment, but I listened to the irresponsible reviews written by a few well-known people claiming it was as good as a U87 and fell victim to MAJOR buyer's remorse!

It never ceases to amaze me how the C1 continues to smoke the competition. As good as the U87, what a laugh!

Not to high jack or anything, but I see a couple of red flags on the SP C1...???

I know that it may not be all it's cracked up to be, but from my limited understanding, it's one those "Best bang for your buck" type of items......right?

I read all of those reviews myself, AND read everything on "here" before I purchased mine (along with a SP B3).......Now I've not had a chance to use it yet as I'm still in the process of getting my "Studio" built............Did I make a bad decision?

Again, sorry for jumping in like thisk, but I wanted to strike when the topic was fresh I guess. :o

Rick

WERNER 1 said:
Not to high jack or anything, but I see a couple of red flags on the SP C1...???

I know that it may not be all it's cracked up to be, but from my limited understanding, it's one those "Best bang for your buck" type of items......right?

Rick

Once I started working with higher end products, I realized just how limited budget mics and pres are. In the long run, it's simply not worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Regards.

I'd love to have a drawer full of world class mics, but I'd rather have a drawer full of todays mid priced mics than just 1 world class mic to try to record everything with.

-RD

I never really thought of the tlm as hyped. granted, i upgraded from a chinese thingy along with a 414 b-uls, a rather bright mic... but i've always thought of the tlm as smooth as hell.

I have a RODE NTK and I am quite happy with the sound. I've had it for about a year and a half now.

I use it strictly for male vocals (mine). I find it rides above the mix nicely, rather than punching through it like say an SM58. It has a very even (in volume) sound to it from 2-6 inches away - no proximity bass boost like a shure. It gives you a warm smooth sound that I really like. The tube effect gives you overtones that just make the vocal sound that much better.

Compared to an SM58, the clarity is 100 (ok maybe 10) times better, reducing the strain on your voice and your ears to hear what you are singing.

I highly recommend trying one out at your local music store (if they have one and they'll let you).

I bought mine based on 1) several good reviews I found on the Internet 2) reasonable price and 3) sound clips on the Rode site. Good luck with your search !

Another sE Electronics vote!

I recently purchased a SE Electronics SE2200-A and compared to my Studio Projects C3, it kicks major butt. Very smooth across the sound spectrum with a little rise in the high end but not a brittle sound some mics I have heard seem to exude. What is nice about the SE2200-A is that, although it is only cardioid, when you kick in the 10dB pad, the frequency response of the mic changes with a little boost to the lows and highs and reduction of the mids. It's like getting 2 mics for the price of one in one sense. One commentary I read relative to this change said that 10dB frequency response is similar to what some hi-end mic pres such as the focusrite red provide for.
It sounds like what I've always thought a good studio mic would sound like.
$299 for the SE2200-A and $299 for the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro???? Hmmmmmmmm.
I did a SE2200-A commentary on my website on the studio stuff page.
Good Luck in whatever you decide!!!
BG
http://mysite.verizon.net/homestudioguy/

wesley tanner said:
I never really thought of the tlm as hyped. granted, i upgraded from a chinese thingy along with a 414 b-uls, a rather bright mic... but i've always thought of the tlm as smooth as hell.

Well, hyped refers to the fact that there is a designed in bump in the upper mid region of the response curve, which there is. But Neuman, being so very good at what they do, accomplishes the curve without ending up sounding harsh or brittle. I 've tracked with a TLM103 in a great room with a Neve 1073, and it was sonic bliss, very airy...with a sprinkling of pixie dust.

-RD

Back