Best Built/Made Microphones

Pub Style

You Are The Walrus
The reason I ask:

From time to time you, or somebody else WILL drop one of your baby's.. I have had a few MIC's fall/drop from various heights over the years (almost in slow motion while I yell at God, "WHY!?!")

An AT4033 from 7FT up on to my hardwood floor. No deleterious effects to report. I know it happened, but thankfully the MIC doesn't.

My ksm32 took a fall from about 4FT onto the same hard floor. No problems whatsoever. Like the AT4033 I immediately ran it through all the necessary tests in order to sleep that night.

Tonight, my Rode NT2A took a fall from 3.5FT.. seems ok.

These things happen but they don't always work out so well. I've been lucky, and keep in mind that the three scary moments described above have taken place within in the last eight years.

Anything not so lucky tales to tell?

SM57 tales of endurance may not include a direct header into the floor---had to replace the capsule twice because of this trajectory (two fine, threadlike copper wires do not endure this drop). Otherwise, it's a musician's blackjack. An SM58, on the other hand, does regularly survive the aforementioned drop and virtually everything else you can throw at it (or throw it at), usually with only cosmetic repairs to the ball (like, remove the ball and reshape it from the inside out with a drumstick or a mic stand). I think at one time Shure advertised that the KSM44 would survive a 6-ft drop onto a concrete floor.

Paj
8^)

I think at one time Shure advertised that the KSM44 would survive a 6-ft drop onto a concrete floor.

Paj
8^)
I am about to purchase a KSM44. However, I will not be testing out the concrete floor drop. Think I'll take their word for it.

Back