The best $1000 (or less) vocal mic...

Over $1000 you should be looking at the Soundelux U195 or the AT4060. I prefer the 4060 for that larger than life sound. Neither of these will be found at GC however. In that price range they only carry the BLUE line or the Neumann TLM 103 and occasionally the U87. Some stores however, carry some of the vintage stuff but it's hit or miss on which brand mic. Maybe I should clarify that a bit. These are the ones you see from store to store but I have seen high variablity in their lines above $1000 so its hit or miss.

The Neumann 103 requires quite and investment in a good preamp before it starts to sound decent. If you have inexpensive preamps it comes off rather bland but detailed. Don't expect to be all that impressed if you going to plug it into a low end mixer or a DMP3 etc.

justharold said:
Thanks for the replies fellas...

OK, here's the deal. I KNOW that I need to try these mics out. However, the closest place to me that sells recording equipment (to any degree) is Guitar Center. And that is 2 1/2 hours away. (I'm not a huge fan of Guitar Center, by the way, but it's all I've got...)

Now, I don't really mind making the trip. However, I would like to know (as somebody mentioned) what are some GOOD VOCAL mics for $1000 (and I can even go a bit more). If I am going to spend that much...I want to be happy and I want something good!

I just want to know of a place to start.

Thanks.
A good place to start might be a local recording studio that isn't 2 1/2 hours away. See if you can book some off hours time to try out a bunch of their mics. It may cost you $50 or so to wind up with a CD of your voice on about 20 different mics, and the luxury of spending some time really listening to those tracks before making any final decisions about spending $1000.

I have thought of that, as well (going to a studio and trying mics). And I still may...

However, our "local" studios have little or nothing when it comes to equipment. That is, not much more than I have already (if indeed as good). There is one studio, however, that has some great stuff. Unfortunately, that studio is 1 1/2 hours away.

justharold said:
I have thought of that, as well (going to a studio and trying mics). And I still may...

However, our "local" studios have little or nothing when it comes to equipment. That is, not much more than I have already (if indeed as good). There is one studio, however, that has some great stuff. Unfortunately, that studio is 1 1/2 hours away.
Also you can rent mics from many sound compaines... anyway, I've recommend about all I can for you... so, with that said... good luck and best wishes. Don

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough.
You DON'T have to spend $1000 for a microphone capable of recording major
commercial release vocals. Just look at some track records here...

For example, the EV RE15 was the main vocal microphone for Elvis and Dolly Parton at RCA Studios. The RE20 was Stevie Wonder's choice for most of his 70's hits, and is also used a lot by Bonnie Raitt.

The Shure 545 was used for ALL the lead vocals on "Pet Sounds".
The Beyer M88 is Phil Collin's main studio/live microphone for many years.
(BTW it sounds similar to the U87 on many voices)

And the Soundstar sounds comparable to the $2000+ vocals mikes I've tried out for my voice (Manley, Telefunken USA 47/251/C12).
Same goes for the SM7, and Shure 548 (smoother version of 545).

Chris

Last edited:
chessparov said:
The Beyer M88 is Phil Collin's main studio/live microphone for many years.
(BTW it sounds similar to the U87 on many voices)

Chris

Absolutely Chris. And it's quite an achievement to make a dynamic mic sound like a pretty expensive LDC, Beyer did!

Build a package of mic's...applications, sessions and users determine what is best. Expect this to change as regularly the variations. Have choices available and learn how to best use each one!

Well I did a lot of research lately concerning vocal mics and I ended up buying the Shure SM7b. I knew up front it was a quiet mic and needed to be boosted. It was recommended to me to get a CloudLifter CL-1 inline mic booster that would boost the signal 25db. Once I did that the SM7b came right to life, I get a very strong signal into my monitors and recording software. It sounds fabulous. I haven't tried a TLM 103 but the Shure is half the money even with the CL-1 booster. The SM7b is marketed as a broadcast mic...isn't that vocals ?? After trying it out, I can see why Michael Jackson chose this mic. Ya it's that good.

Back