Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Don't thank me yet. Wait till I can compare it directly with the Audix TR-40 to make sure the noise level is reasonable. If you just need a pair for drum overheads right now, then you're welcome. :)

Drum Overhead?

I have never used an omni for anything. And just wondered how they work for overheads
since most of us have small areas to record in and do you need two of them since they
are omni or is one on the kit enough.
I mic my kit using xy with about 8 inches of space between them.
what are you thoughts on this Harvey?

Our Studio B drum room is pretty small too, with a low ceiling. We use one Audix TR-40 positioned over the crash and high hats, and the other mic is positioned over the ride cymbal. Here are some pictures of our typical drum set up:

drum mics from left side.jpg

drum mics from right side.jpg

left overhead side view.jpg

right overhead side view.jpg

overheads from straight on.jpg

Sorry if this takes a while to download, but it may make it easier to see exactly what I'm talking about

Harvey Gerst said:
Tekker,

The 603 is a 1/2" condenser with a warm sound and pretty low noise, great for capturing the richness of a nice acoustic guitar.

The 1/4" Panasonic capsule is a different kind of beast, good for capturing the loud, but delicate stuff, like cymbals, tamborine, violin, mandolin, banjo, and flute. If it's quiet, it can also be used to capture the delicacy of a guitar as well.

Actually either would be good choices, with the 603 being the favorite for greater output and lower noise.

As far as the B2 is concerned, the quality control and consistancy from unit to unit would be my main worry.

nahhh i dunno i haven't had that problem with the B2 so far everything is smooth

Originally posted by PG13 nahhh i dunno i haven't had that problem with the B2 so far everything is smooth
PG13, do you have two of the B2s? Did you check out several to see if they all sounded the same? How close is your B2 to their published spec? Were some B2s that you listened to noisier than others?

Harvey,

Can you explain what the difference in sound would be using omnis as overheads as opposed to hypercardioids?

If the acoustics of the room aren't that great would hypercardioids be a better choice?

Thanks for the reply Harvey But I cant get the links to work Am I doing something wrong?

VirtualSamana said:
Harvey,

Can you explain what the difference in sound would be using omnis as overheads as opposed to hypercardioids?

If the acoustics of the room aren't that great would hypercardioids be a better choice?
We use both cardioids and omnis here, depending on the material. Hypercardioids would be too directional for my tastes, although I will sometimes mic the high hat with a hypercardioid if the drummer is doing intricate high hat work.

Our small drum room is pretty dead, so we don't have too many problems with the room pickup. The high end detail we pick up with the omnis usually offsets any room reflection problems.

Herm said:
Thanks for the reply Harvey But I cant get the links to work Am I doing something wrong?
It's probably my fault. It's supposed to all appear in the document. Here are the straight links (that should be clickable):

http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/drum mics from left side.jpg
http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/drum mics from right side.jpg
http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/left overhead side view.jpg
http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/right overhead side view.jpg
http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/overheads from straight on.jpg

Damn we're lucky you're around!

Sorry to go OT, but could you give a quicky explanation of what's on your drum room wall and why. How big is it?

It's not really off topic. I said the room was dead and that's how I made it dead. Those gray panels are office dividers that someone was throwing away. They're 4 feet by 6 feet and they use a very absorbing Owens-Corning 603 fiberglass batting inside. I removed the screw-in feet and got some L brackets and 6 inch by 3/8 inch bolts and some 3/8 nuts from the hardware store.

I fastened the L brackets to the wall studs and slid one end of the panel into the brackets and anchored it with the 6 inch bolts so that it can be swung out from the wall or lay flat.

I can overlap them to expose more hard wall, or swing them out into the room to make wedges and boxes, for diffusion or isolation.

Harvey,

the room i record drums in doesn't have any gobos and there is some reflection. I need some overheads and this looks like to good of an offer to pass on. Do you think I can use an omni pattern if reflection is an issue?

Well, you could throw some packing blankets around the drum set to kill some of the reflections. But you're right about this being too good a deal to pass up IF they turn out to be as good as I think they are.

Ill also hold off buying my pair of ECM8000's pending your review....Ill be using them primarily as drum overheads, and since Im currently drumkit impaired (dont have one), I can hold off a bit.....

Gidge said:
Ill also hold off buying my pair of ECM8000's pending your review....Ill be using them primarily as drum overheads, and since Im currently drumkit impaired (dont have one), I can hold off a bit.....

I thought about that too brutha' Gidge, but a pair @ $70.00 with a 30-day exchange guaranty, I figger' how bad can that be! I've been burned a whole lot worse (read-3630 & Behringer mixer).
So why not add this to my slowly growing mic ensemble!

Gidge

I wouldnt hold off long, This is a sign of a buisness liquidating for bankruptcy.

To get to the B2, Why not get that,after all Its a RODE NT2 with a differnt shell. Just check out the mics Insides.

Interesting.
Does this mean the B2 or whatever its called will be $100 now? That might be worth the money, too. Check it out, Harvey, you da man! :)
Waiting on this 1/4 inch review...

Harvey Gerst said:
PG13, do you have two of the B2s? Did you check out several to see if they all sounded the same? How close is your B2 to their published spec? Were some B2s that you listened to noisier than others?

Yea thats why I bought a B2 man producer has some in his Studio (like 3) maybe four (i think one was a MXL)
but they all sound they same i mean some were a little noiser but nothing serious tho

ausrock said:
I want to farkin scream.
The Aust. distributors have those mics listed with a retail of $199 each. That's approx $400US each.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

ChrisO :cool:
I think youve got your conversion rates around the wrong way thats apporx $100US each

Back