Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

ausrock and dobro,
I've got no direct experience with 8th street, but I'd say in general, I've found the response rate to be about 20% or less when emailing webshops.

Queue

I've never not been responded to when emailing 8thstreet...and I've emailed them plenty. They've also got a telephone.

Try this address: randy@8thstreet.com

I think it's really rude for companies not to respond to emails. However I do understand why some places would not want to ship internationally. Just shipping from the US into Canada is a pain. You've got to deal with customs forms, long shipment times, a greater potential for lost or damage product, etc. I would think that smaller companies would be more willing to go through it than larger companies that have fixed shipping systems.

Slackmaster 2000

Yes the same guy has not been much of a help to me either emailing me once then never replying again see they dont have to have all this hassle its simple just post parts or goods marked as replacement goods or parts insure it just under the net taxable income and mail it out sure you carry some risk too but considering all the duty you save and all the bs that governments put us through with extra duty and tax on everything isnt it worth it :-) but hey dont tell the shops that they may pick up a few extra customers for being nice for once vote with your feet go elsewhere tell the shop where it can put its business try samash or some other store im sure you will get results sooner or later

Hey, thanks for straightening me out on that one - I thought I was being ignored because of where I live.

BTW, on the 8th Street page for the ECM mic, I like the little sidebar on the right that says: "You might also want to buy..." and it lists a handful of accessories, one of which is:

VC1Q $499.

$36 mic. Yeah okay, throw in the pre too. Why not?

getuhgrip,

Thanks for the offer, I'll take a raincheck for now but maybe later on I may ask a favour.
At the moment I think I will put any spare cash into other areas of the studio............and for the fun of it I'm trying to "hotrod" a pair of old condenser mics I was given.

Peace.........ChrisO :cool:

Sorry to muck up this mic thread with this, but maybe it fits. I was moaning earlier about 8th Street and Mars being useless for international ordering, and today I got this in an email from mars:

"Thank you for contacting Marsmusic.com!

We do not handle overseas or out of country orders through our online store. However, you may place an international order through our Mars Superstore in N. Miami, Florida. You may contact the Mars Superstore via e-mail at:

bernstei@marsmusic.com

If you do not receive a response within 24 hours please submit your information to the e-mail address below:

gm25@marsmusic.com

The telephone number to the store is:
(305)892-6811

Ask for Walter Bernstein

The fax number to the store is:
(305) 891-7125

Access to resources is half the battle. :)

so whats the deal can we still get these for 35usd or not seems these stores are being a painfull dealing with people overseas and by the time we do get a result these mics either will be sold out and no longer 35usd dam i hate how shop politics works

Trebles,
That's really a question to ask the stores, not the forum........but I think dobro has received part of the answer.

:cool:

Hi all,

I'm new - just in from the VSPlanet site and want to extend a sincere thanks - these were just what the doctor ordered... so I'm gettin' four! :) We're going to be using two drummers with lots o' cymbols and these should do nicely for at least one set - I've already got wonderful Oktava MC012's that simply rock the world! Now I can get a really different sound or break them up and get the house? Who knows - but I'm happy either way with four omnis for less than my two Russian cardiods!!! Woohoo and thanks again.

Sincerely

Tor

ive already tried contacting the stores without success you know as i know what they charge for stuff in australia

and iam asking the forum as this is whats being discussed here everyone chatting about it seems to know more about this then the pair of us sitting here in australia they all seem to be buying one or several of these mics so iam sure someone here will answer soon enough

regards wayne :confused:

Trebles,
In dobro's last post, Mars have indicated they will reply and will send overseas..............so that appears to answer that part of the question. As far as other suppliers not answering emails, maybe if they receive an actual order, then we may get a response.
Personally, I am going to hold off for the time being while I work on the old condensers I have here........

Contact Music Link in Melb. and ask if they can explain their pricing on these mics.

:cool:

Here is a guitar sample of the 8000

Here is a recording of a ovation thin body acoustic using 1 8000.
The mic was placed about 12 inches from the guitar at about the 12 fret
this sample uses no effects at all and no eq

The player was in the middle of a carpeted room 12 by18 with 7.5 foot ceiling.
There was also a music stand with sheet music infront of them which may have
helped with some of the reverb you hear on the recording.
Ley me know what you guys think cause my ears are not so good anymore.
But to me Its not bad for a 35.00 dollar mic

http://www.geocities.com/herm1953/

UPS brought my pair of ECM8000s yesterday and I did some tracking after work.Classic and steel string guitars sounded good,as did a steel drum I have.I miced the guitars nearly as in the post above,about 8 inches from the 10th fret.Xylophone sounded thin and toppy.I miced a keyboard through the PA cabinet and that was a good test for the bass.This thing can really pick up the lows (but no boomy proximity effect).
As these are omnis,there is a real balancing act in mic distance and pre levels to find the sweet spot.
Great deal for the money.Thanks Harvey for the recommendation.
By the way,Harvey.I saw your column in our local music mag Harder Beat.I did not know you were in the Association.I probably saw you play in the late 60 at a college gig in Arlington Tx (about the time of the second album).

Tom

Tom Hicks said:
I did not know you were in the Association. I probably saw you play in the late 60 at a college gig in Arlington Tx (about the time of the second album).

<sung>
"Everyone Knows it's Har- Veeeeey" (hehe)
</sung>

My little mikeys are traveling as we speak, they have crossed the tri-state border and should be in my lil hands tomorrow! YAY.

Saw a different post that brought up an interesting point: Behringer MX802A Mixer (for phantom power) for the condensers?

IS this mixer any good? how are the pre's? It's $99 bucks so I am hoping that it passes muster...

nP

ya ta hey, Nez
The pres in the little Behringer mixer do not have a very good reputation.I would urge you to keep looking for another.
Tom

Well ive emailed Mars now lets see what their response is over these ecm 8000,s

Im finding this experience of buying gear of late in the states highly frustrating.

I mean your the customer but you virtually got to beg them to do business this sucks big time

I also find most of these sales people to be such pains to deal with its so dam simple to wrap something and realise your posting it overseas so in turn you declare this stuff as replacement parts stock b stock whatever this way it saves us a ton of duty which in my opionion is robbery

eg this behringer mic in my country retails for 200 aussie dollars 100 usd you guys get them for 35usd which is 70aussie in our money now i dont mind paying my10% on top of the 70 dollars plus some small fee for the shops proffits but why should we pay this dam hiked up price when so many others get them cheap.

I realise our dollar is half of yours so im not complaining paying the rate plus some but i,ll be damned if im gonna get taken on any of this gear any more any shop not willing to play the game can take a hike in the future where i am concerned

i am sure i will find someone out of the bunch who value a sale no matter which side of the woods it come from as this bullshit with how they fill out customs forms etc is a load of rot ive dealt with many before who are educated enough to know why you declare stock a certain way and if that is too hard for them to deal with well i,ll vote with my feet and they sure wont get no positive feedback from me in the future :confused: :mad:

ive dealt with many before who are educated enough to know why you declare stock a certain way and if that is too hard for them to deal with well i,ll vote with my feet and they sure wont get no positive feedback from me in the future

I'm guessing this is illegal. I'm not saying it is a good law. Some retailers are probably willing to 'bend the rules' but you can't rant too much about someone obeying the law.

But there is no excuse for apathy. They should at lease respond to you and say whether or not they will do international business and how much it may cost.

Queue

Queue what iam saying here is this some people take this to the enth degree makes you wonder if the tax dept aint giving them kick backs or something

I dont expect too much but we all know the way duty tax works
im not sure how its done there but when you look at what i got to pay for gear this whole situation forces me to shop os

Man im getting taken big time

Though i will say i did pick up my mackie HR824,S FOR 1000 USD FOR THE PAIR and i know thats even below the us price so some deals work out that way which is good but what iam complaining about is this

If i place an order its simple they get my credit details they charge it they wrap the goods and mail it an example of customs declorations if one is smart would be mic capsule, wiring, metal components, xlr jack. theres no lie there but if they write neumann u87 value this that and the other same old situation occurs theft or revenue raising customs busy bodies who have nothing better to do then line the pockets of the already overwealthy fat polititions

see people get upset about all this but if iam paying already for goods why should i have to continue paying and paying these fools when it can be all so simple ive done many transactions where the person dont get all complicated about the deal it all flows it all happens everyone is happy and life rolls on but as usual there will always be some do gooder with more time on his/her hands then sales who just has to play all high and mighty and make decisions with our hard earned cash

anyway enough of the soapbox blues
i guess i,ll find away soon enough :(

Any retailer has the right to deal or not to deal with a potential customer.
It would be nice to have at least received a reply to an email though.

Trebles,
If you feel the need to rant, then fine..........but how about ranting at;
1; Music Link in Melb. about their apparent "overpricing" of Behringer.
2;Behringer themselves about the arseholes that are distributing their products in Aust.

I have already contacted both, why not take your frustrations out there.

ChrisO :cool:

Back