Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Gidge-mo & every-1 else!!!

I'm doing some serious mic'ing rite now and took a pause just to
let you know how's it going!

With the tiny & cute wind-screen (so small it looks like a a cover for a walkman headphone!) on the head of the mic pointed DEAD
center of a CRATE GFX 30 git amp speaker, run thru a ART MP to board (using boards phantom pwr) and EQ FLAT; doing a 1-off of Average White Bands "Pick Up the Pieces", the mic is performing
a AB-FAB job of sound translation across all bands for the rhythm
git AND the Lead Git! (mic is sooooo sensitive,it's picking up my fingers rubbing against the frets on lead).
Pointed dead center to a Peavy 18" bass reflex bottom with amp
and now playing bass,there's a small loss of bottom freq (I hazard a guess of 60 hz and below) but when using the bass
percussive thumb-slap technique of playing, replication is THERE!!
Yeah baby!!! For 70 cheep-@ss $$$, I scored (thx to Harv-Master) 2 excellent MIC-key mouses! Though I'm no mic expert,
I take GREAT PRIDE in my big-@ss EARS!!!! Buy 'em NOW!!!! GREAT addition to ANY mic arsenal!!!!

BTW, I showed the wif-ee the EarthWork mic's and the price listed in a Sweetwater catalog...then showed her what I paid for 2 similar omini's!!!..............."He Shoots and he SCORRRRRRES!!!!!!......She herself had to admit that I did really good and she's proud of me!!!!!!

Now if only I can find away to tell her that my future purchase of an Alesis HD24 will be had for only $150.00!!!

'Scooze me, I'm goin' back to my basement stoo-dee-o to do more
mic'ing, jammin' and recordin'!!!
Peace
Mr.Q

The reason it doesn't seem bass heavy is due to a lack of proximity effect. True omnis don't get bass heavy as you move them closer so they don't sound as bottom heavy as an SM57 almost touching the amplifier grill, or bass heavy such as when a singer crowds the mic. No nice bass boost - just flat sound.

It's a different kind of mic than most people are used to using. The bass is all there, believe me (it'll go down lower than any other mic you own), but it won't boost bass like pressure gradient mics will.

When miking acoustic guitar, you don't need to point it at the guitar. I mic from over my shoulder, with the mic pointed straight down at the floor, just grazing the face of the guitar. Same with singers - mic from around two feet back, with the mic pointed down towards the floor. I know it sounds weird, but it works.

For percussion instruments, put the mic about 6 to 7 feet off the ground, pointed down, and keep the instruments about 18 to 24 inches away from the mic.

Hang on there MrQQ. I believe that the name "Earthworks" only came up once in this thread, and Harvey was simply using it in a demonstration of the difference between a directional 1/2" design and a 1/4" omni. Now you've gone and convinced your wife that you got Earthworks quality for $35??!! Absolutely brilliant! :) heehee

I just got a note from Randy at 8th street. He said that orders were coming in like crazy and asked where I heard about the mic. I made sure to drop the homerecording name and of course Harvey. :)

Unfortunately, the message also said that they were out of stock and would be getting a shipment in about a week...which we already knew I guess. I'm definately not going to cancel my order though...I tell ya what guys, when it comes to doing business I would take 8thstreet over sam ash or musician's friend or any of the big names.

Anyways, thanks Harvey. Even if this mic doesn't work out for me, at least I'm going to have a good time trying it out, and maybe even *learn* something...if I eat a big breakfast and squint real hard. I've been wanting to try an omni after reading a particular Tape Op article earlier this year.

Slackmaster 2000

Slack-Miester(goin' on)2002!!!....

In no way,shape or form was I trying to imply that that the ECM's are the same as the EarthWorks!!!! I simply showed the missus a picture of the Earthworks with the PRICE and showed her my ECM's (to indicate to her that they were basically the same thing) with the invoice showing 2 for 70 buckeroonies!!!
Now mind you,home-gurl has absolutely no clue about gear (She thinks a vintage '57 FENDER is sumthin' U find on the front of a
'57 Chevy) so her seeing, the E-wks @ $400 compared to my $70 pair of mic's,I get the "stamp of approval" justification for spending $$$ on these mics!!!!

If only gear-purchasing was that ta-h-eazzzzzzy!!!!!

"SIGH"

Well I just emailed 8th Street for the 3rd time to see if they will ship to Aust. Maybe they will actually reply this time.
But there's no way in hell I'm going to buy locally while they are asking the equivelant of $100 US EACH and that is after the price reductions.
Now did I get the currency conversion right this time..........$1 Oz is approx 52 cents US.......mmmmmmmmmmmm. YEP.

:cool:

room recording

would these babies be any good for 2 track recording a live rock band in stereo?

I'm thinking of getting 1 for acoustic and cause I don't want to miss the party

Heads-up guys

With all the excitement over this product I think I might grab a couple myself . . . However a little reminder is in order.

Remember that these mics are very flat OMNIDIRECTIONAL mics . . . in other words, they're going to pick up the sound of the room big time. In fact, that's what these mics are for ... picking up the "sound of the room" so it can get fed into an RTA, so you can use an eq to "even out" the room and compensate for all kinds of acoustical nastiness (there's actually a good article on this topic in the current electronic musician). http://www.industryclick.com/magazi...aseid=9554&magazinearticleid=132818&SiteID=15

What I'm getting at is don't throw up this mic and expect it to sound "great" when all you're working with is a $200 Sigma guitar in an 8x8x8 bedroom. In that case, your acoustic guitar is going to sound just as bad as your room.

However, in an appropriate space with excellent acoustics, mics like this can work wonders at capturing the overall sound of an ensemble . . . even a full rock band.

I'll shut up now.

In that case, wonder how well they would work as a distance room mic, or maybe as a pair about 5 feet apart, 8-12 feet from the front of the kit? I think one is in order, if not two, just for the sake of having an extra mic around.

I ordered a pair from musicians fiend ($35)and they shipped two days ago so they are an alternative supply for those who don't want to wait.

Tom

Thanks Niels and Tom, I just ordered a pair from musicians friend (using our link) and I am ready to have them.

I told my wife they doubled as a cheese grater so she is cool with it.

Monty,

Hey Harv!

Is it possible that some rooms sound so doggone crappy because we are listening through "one ear" with one-dimensional cardiods? I only seem to notice the problems in mine when I'm micing an acoustic (obviously, most bets are off with a very loud source like an amp...) with cardiods. Is that the nature of the beast? Or should an omni be more or less kind?

Thanks in advance,

-Doug

Last edited:
wow that was quick! I ordered from MF a few hours ago and I just got a ground shipping notice.I don't know if the lastest airline insedent in Atlanta will hold up UPS shipments.If you haven't heard yet someone "breeched security" at Hartsfield Air port in ATL and I live in Atlanta it is a mess, over ten thousand people are standing around out side and don't know what is happening.

Monty,

This is a real-world miracle in community-building.

It has created widespread enthusiasm to try something new (new at least to many of us) and the unique opportunity over the next several weeks and months to share our experiences, tips, tricks and applications with one another about THE SAME PAIR OF MICS. (And they're not even SM57s and SM58s.)

I realize I'm remarking on the obvious, but this almost never happens in the non-virtual world, and it can seriously accelerate the learning curve, especially for those of us who live in relatively isolated areas. Writing about sound is one thing, but if we're all listening through different tools, it's hard to know if we're talking about the same things, even when we use the same descriptions.

Here at last is a chance for us to experiment and share our results almost as though we were taking a professional-level distance-learning seminar in sound recording. Watching Harvey explain the characteristics of an omni to someone in this thread who noticed the absence of proximity effect, for instance, and then being able to replicate the experience for ourselves is just one example of how we can transfer theory into practice and develop our listening (as well as recording) skills.

My hat's off to Harvey and to everyone who makes the homerecording.com BBS possible. This must be the fulfillment of a dream for you, and it is a tremendous gift to the rest of us.

With kind regards,

Mark H.

I'm thinking about getting a bunch of these mics to use in a theater application. Aiming 4 from the front of the stage ( spaced)would probably do a nice job of picking up ensemble sections of a musical or play. Keeping the 3 to 1 rule in mind of course..

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Ausrock - I've emailed 8th Street a couple of times, Mars music as well, about shipping to Singapore, and they're not interested enough to even reply to my email. I think for a lot of the online retailers in the US, the US is market enough for them. Another case of the US being the biggest island in the world.

I (foolishly) ordered some software from Sound Forge recently, and the shipping costs for two CDs were horrendous. Criminal, basically. (Somehow, I managed to click on the confirmation of order button before I'd seen the shipping costs.) These people have no idea about international sales. DrStawl reports that it's a hassle sending me CDs here in Singapore - the US postal service is backward as well. I also recently ordered a sound engineering manual from the US, and asked, since the book was so big and heavy, if they could send it seamail. No, they replied, we don't do that anymore - stuff doesn't arrive if we do it that way.

I'll go into my Archie Bunker routine now: "They can put a man on the moon, but they can't get a CD around the other side of the planet."

Rant over.

Dobro,
Thanks for that ...........8th Street have a reference on their site to international shipping, but like you say don't seem interested in replying.
Musicians Friend have an agreement with most companies they deal with NOT to sell outside of the US. I think Mars may be the same.

WOULD ONE OF YOU GUYS "STATESIDE" PLEASE PHONE 8TH STREET.............and ask them why the fuck they don't reply to o/seas emails.

ChrisO :cool:

Ausrock, if you'll check shipping costs from Louisville, Ky I'll grab you a pair and shoot 'em over to you.
You too, dobro.

I'm gonna grab a pair myself and I'll get free shipping to me for an order over $100. Lemme know.

A question for Harvey: how would these mikes do for grand piano? I'm asking because my favorite recorded piano sound is on a record recorded by Lynne Arriale, and they used Earthworks Omnis when they recorded it. While I understand that these mics are not anywhere near that quality, are we talking about the same basic vibe here? What would be the probable result of sticking an omni under the lid of a grand piano on full or half stick and then covering the whole piano with a blanket to keep out some outside noise? And would one mic or two better for this purpose?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Back