Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Re: quick question

TheMessStudio said:
I just got a pair of C 1000S's for my drum overheads. They sound GREAT... Can anyone make a comparison of the two that owns them If the proce for the pair is under $100 the studio budget will cover that no problem, but are they worth having INPLACE of teh C1000s or just as a different kinda mic. (I already have a pretty big selection of mic's, i guess its like cables.... you can naver have too many!) :)

A pair of ECM8000 for $75 or less that performs admirably!!??
Ya' just can't go wrong with that kinda' deal,A/B/C comparison or
not. I for 1 believe that the ECM's make a fine addition to anyone's mic arsenal!

Re: quick question

TheMessStudio said:
I just got a pair of C 1000S's for my drum overheads. They sound GREAT... Can anyone make a comparison of the two that owns them If the proce for the pair is under $100 the studio budget will cover that no problem, but are they worth having INPLACE of teh C1000s or just as a different kinda mic. (I already have a pretty big selection of mic's, i guess its like cables.... you can naver have too many!) :)
Let me answer that by asking a question: How many pairs of omnis do you currently have. If you're like most people prior to a few months ago (when I started this thread), your answer is probably: none.

Most people just don't understand how important a good omni can be when nothing else works right. At $70 for a pair (and I've heard $60 for a pair at some of the Guitar Centers), you can't go wrong adding them to your mic collection - it's really that simple.

And few have omni dynamic mics, either. You can pickup the EV 635a/PL-5 for well under $50 used, and I'm progressively convinced everyone should have at least two.

Bear

hey harvey, I posted a thread about how to use the ecm8000 for testing my control room as well. (I mean why not?) They say you're supposed to buy another piece of gear but is there another way I could do it, possibly with software?

G'day mate!

I want to farkin scream.
The Aust. distributors have those mics listed with a retail of $199 each. That's approx $400US each.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

ChrisO :cool:

I've seen em in shops here for $79 AU.. I own 4 which I have bought in two "emergencies" when I have found myself needing to add audience mics to live recording scenarios and not had any spare mics with me.. the ambience has been extremely usable and in fact better than Sennheiser 416's for the same application.. guess the big wide omni pattern is a big part of what I like, together with the apparent better bandwidth...

Hey boffin,

Mate, you've dragged up a 5 year old thread :).

The ECM8000 mics originally had an RRP of $299 out here, it dropped to $199 and when Behringer ditched Musiclink as their Aust., distributor and installed "their own people" the price came down to $99 and that was approx., 4 years back now. I have a pair which are thankfully very low on self-noise and excellent bang for buck mics.

:cool:

Now that this thread got bumped up, have you guys (Harvey) been trying the Samson CO2 SDC? At €100 for a matched pair theae are really nice mics.

ECM 8k's... still rockin'!

Hey boffin,

Mate, you've dragged up a 5 year old thread :).

The ECM8000 mics originally had an RRP of $299 out here, it dropped to $199 and when Behringer ditched Musiclink as their Aust., distributor and installed "their own people" the price came down to $99 and that was approx., 4 years back now. I have a pair which are thankfully very low on self-noise and excellent bang for buck mics.

:cool:

Bought another ECM 8000 a couple of weeks ago when installing a new line array PA in a Sydney theatre, and was stuck for: wait for it, an analyzer mic! Rather than spend time in the pre Christmas traffic to drive back home, I chose to drive just a few blocks to buy another. Now I know as well as crowd mics, acoustic guitar and overheads, they work great for use with SMAART to tweak time alignment, crossovers and general system analysis :)

Perhaps not quite Earthworks, but seriously good bang for your buck, as you say mate..:D

I know this thread is ancient, but shouldn't we replace "Behringer" with "Naiant" now? :rolleyes:

They both give a very similar sound, at least on an acoustic. Behringer is a little more noisy, and for some strange reason, seems to always pick up more "pick" sound on the guitar. Or maybe I'm hearing things. But yeah, both mics are good, but the Naiant is cheaper and quieter, and more reliable, so may as well just get one of those. Or two. :p

Back