Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Don't thank me yet. Wait till I can compare it directly with the Audix TR-40 to make sure the noise level is reasonable. If you just need a pair for drum overheads right now, then you're welcome.

Thanks

Drum Overhead?

I have never used an omni for anything. And just wondered how they work for overheads
    since most of us have small areas to record in and do you need two of them since they
    are omni or is one on the kit enough.
    I mic my kit using xy with about 8 inches of space between them.
    what are you thoughts on this Harvey?

Thanks
    Our Studio B drum room is pretty small too, with a low ceiling. We use one Audix TR-40 positioned over the crash and high hats, and the other mic is positioned over the ride cymbal. Here are some pictures of our typical drum set up:

Sorry if this takes a while to download, but it may make it easier to see exactly what I'm talking about

Thanks
    Originally posted by Harvey Gerst
    Tekker,

The 603 is a 1/2" condenser with a warm sound and pretty low noise, great for capturing the richness of a nice acoustic guitar.

The 1/4" Panasonic capsule is a different kind of beast, good for capturing the loud, but delicate stuff, like cymbals, tamborine, violin, mandolin, banjo, and flute. If it's quiet, it can also be used to capture the delicacy of a guitar as well.

Actually either would be good choices, with the 603 being the favorite for greater output and lower noise.

As far as the B2 is concerned, the quality control and consistancy from unit to unit would be my main worry.
    nahhh i dunno i haven't had that problem with the B2 so far everything is smooth

Thanks
    Originally posted by PG13 nahhh i dunno i haven't had that problem with the B2 so far everything is smooth
    PG13, do you have two of the B2s? Did you check out several to see if they all sounded the same? How close is your B2 to their published spec? Were some B2s that you listened to noisier than others?

Thanks
    Harvey,

Can you explain what the difference in sound would be using omnis as overheads as opposed to hypercardioids?

If the acoustics of the room aren't that great would hypercardioids be a better choice?

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Harvey But I cant get the links to work Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Originally posted by VirtualSamana
    Harvey,

Can you explain what the difference in sound would be using omnis as overheads as opposed to hypercardioids?

If the acoustics of the room aren't that great would hypercardioids be a better choice?
    We use both cardioids and omnis here, depending on the material. Hypercardioids would be too directional for my tastes, although I will sometimes mic the high hat with a hypercardioid if the drummer is doing intricate high hat work.

Our small drum room is pretty dead, so we don't have too many problems with the room pickup. The high end detail we pick up with the omnis usually offsets any room reflection problems.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Herm
    Thanks for the reply Harvey But I cant get the links to work Am I doing something wrong?
    It's probably my fault. It's supposed to all appear in the document. Here are the straight links (that should be clickable):

http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/dru...eft%20side.jpg
    http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/dru...ght%20side.jpg
    http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/lef...ide%20view.jpg
    http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/rig...ide%20view.jpg
    http://www.itrstudio.com/anonftp/ove...aight%20on.jpg

Thanks
    Damn we're lucky you're around!

Sorry to go OT, but could you give a quicky explanation of what's on your drum room wall and why. How big is it?

Thread Information