Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

ECM 8000 Cases

If you look close, you'll realize the mic case is just a cassette case with foam inserts.

And you wonder how they sell them so cheap...?

Touché on the observation there DougD, but from what burnt out warehouse did they buy the eggcrate foam from?

I'll say it again:

PPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW :eek:

Queue

recycle!

" the mic case is just a cassette case with foam inserts. "

And since it works so well, doesn't that give you a couple o' bright ideas? That old cassette case in the attic or the one at wal-mart is a whooole lot cheaper than an SKB mic case.. hmmmmmmmm....

also check this:
since I got a pair, I cut the inserts in half and put them both in one case!

yes, I know, I know...I'm a genius!!! ;)

"Foam products from recycled penguin bladders!" Yeeuuuccckkk!

I pulled the foam out and yep, they're friggin cassette cases. :D

And in MF's defense, they said they expected to recieve them 11/26 and would ship two days later. It's not like when I ordered an Ibanez from them last year and they put me off for a couple months before telling me the model was discontinued, would I like an alternate?

I joined the band wagon - two mics for $75 from Guitar Center. Considering that I don't even HAVE a regular drum kit set up right now (using a Roland electronic kit) its a bit silly. But I can smell a good deal, and they will be used soon enough.

Okay, I got two of them today, thanks to Getuhgrip, and I tried them out tonight. Two things: they have a bit of self noise which you can hear when miking acoustic guitar; second, they have no proximity effect no matter which way you point them, which is pretty cool for miking acoustic guitar. I can pick up all the bottom end of the guitar without having to cut any of it to get rid of boominess. I'm not used to the relatively darker sound I'm hearing, but it's quite nice. One thing that's interesting: listening to the acoustic through the Behringers, I realize just how much bottom end I've been cutting when recording it through a condenser - more than I'd thought.

My previous post reported using both Behringers at the same time. Tonight I tried miking the acoustic guitar with my AKG condenser and ONE of the Behringers at the same time. The omni supplies all the bottom that I had to cut from the condenser to avoid boominess. This is really sweet.

At a poodle? :D

You don't have to point them though. They pick it all up. Even if you insert it into a dog.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read that thread. I might have chosen my words more carefully if I had. I'll use the little windscreen thingy next time. :D

So far, they're working out great. I did try it on a steel string acoustic the other day, and while it sounded slightly different than the Audix, I actually preferred it for the song. It seems to be hotter than the Audix, but I haven't checked the noise level yet.
I hope to have some time this week to do some serious listening.

Unfortunately, the way I test mics these days requires two people listening at the same time; I don't have the facilities anymore to do serious mic testing by myself any more.

But so far, the Behringer has been well worth the $35 price tag. It's already paid for itself several times over.

Harvy:

Do you think this microphone would work plugged into the mic input of a sound card -- you know from the 3-5 volt phantom power used to power the computer mics?

TIA

That's a little too low, but you can easily make a phantom power supply with five 9 Volt batteries, a couple of 1% 6,800 ohm resistors, and two 10 mfd to 100mfd, 50volt capacitors.

Yeah, you're probably right, but it's really a no-brainer project. Anybody with basic soldering skills can do it and it opens up a whole new world of great sound for people that just have a PC and a sound card to record with.

The resistors simply make sure both sides of the mic get exactly the same voltage, and the two condensers prevent the voltage from getting back into the PC. And five 9 Volt batteries ain't exactly gonna give anybody a big electric shock.

Uuuuhhhmmmm,

okay so I tried it.

The mic was kind of launced after connecting the batteries and hit my elmo.
Damn, I should have know better.

Attachments

• elmo.gif
    elmo.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 247
ummmm...

Am I using these mics incorrectly?

I've had them for a month now and I haven't mic'ed the inside of my dogs, Elmo, or any other furry animals?

Does stuffing the mic up Elmo's ass simulate a low pass filter?

hehe

nP

Back