Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Thanks

Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, here's the deal. As some of you already know, Behringer cut their prices almost 50% on everything a few days ago. Normally, this wouldn't even cause me to raise my eyebrows, but there is one product in their line that MAY be a real winner in the "best bang for the buck" category.

They sell a mic called the ECM8000, which is basically a lookalike to the Audix TR-40 and MBHO series of 1/4" omni calibration mics. What makes this especially interesting is that just about everybody uses the 1/4" Panasonic omni capsule; it's cheap, and it's good.

The only sticking point with small diaphragm condenser mics is usually the high self noise. That's not really a problem if you use these mics as overheads to record drums. It may be a problem for recording quiet acoustic guitars. I went ahead and ordered a pair, and I'll A/B them against my Audix TR-40s when they arrive.

Am I recommending them? Yes, and no. If you're gonna use them as drum overheads, go ahead and order a pair. At the price ($70), you can't really go wrong, and there's not too many ways they could have screwed up the sound, except for self noise.

If you want to use it for acoustic guitar, you might want to hold off for a week till I get mine in, and I'll see if they're as quiet as the Audix TR-40.

Did I mention that the $70 was the selling price for a pair of these mics, not just one? They're $35 each at 8th Street Music. The URL is:

http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp...ry=Microphones

Thanks
    Harvey, do you think that you could compare them to the Marshall 603s also? Cause I've been hearing that they are really good on acoustic guitar (and drum overheads) and at the moment those are the sd condencers I got my eyes on.....but that could change depending on how good the Behringers are.....

-tkr

Thanks
    Also Behringer's B2 Dual Condenser Mic is nice as hell I was just using that in a Studio today

Thanks
    I want to farkin scream.
    The Aust. distributors have those mics listed with a retail of $199 each. That's approx $400US each.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

ChrisO

Thanks
    Tekker,

The 603 is a 1/2" condenser with a warm sound and pretty low noise, great for capturing the richness of a nice acoustic guitar.

The 1/4" Panasonic capsule is a different kind of beast, good for capturing the loud, but delicate stuff, like cymbals, tamborine, violin, mandolin, banjo, and flute. If it's quiet, it can also be used to capture the delicacy of a guitar as well.

Actually either would be good choices, with the 603 being the favorite for greater output and lower noise.

As far as the B2 is concerned, the quality control and consistancy from unit to unit would be my main worry.

Thanks
    So then would you say that having both the 603s and the Behringers would be a good option? One pair for guitar and one pair for drum OH.

Not a bad addition to your mic locker, 4 mics for only $210.

-tkr

Thanks

Cool

Good deal Harvey...Im glad I didnt let my cheapskate ass spring for the 603's yet.....

Thanks
    Not less than 30 seconds after reading this thread I ordered 2 from 8th street!! WHOT A BAH-GIN!!!!!!!

Thanks Harvey!

Thanks
    I bought one from GC last week for $40.00. I use it as a measurement mic with my spectrum analyzer.

Thanks
    Gargamel, ever used the ECM to mic a git amp!!??

How does it sound!?

Thread Information