behringer B1 Malfunctioning

Awaisq

I got a used Behringer B1 from ebay few days ago . since it came i bought xenyx 302 and 502 to check if there is some problem with my microphone . the Sound volume just doesn't go much high . in fact in the start when i plug it starts with loud ( i guess it would be the normal) . and as i speak the first thing into it the sound goes down to a minimum . if i crank up the volume on the mixer , the hum is greater then what i record. my cheap dynamic microphone sounds much better and loud then it. i dont know what might be wrong with it .

When a condenser mic works then the volume drops as soon as it gets some louder sound, then comes back after being turned off for a while and then does the whole same thing again? If these are the symptoms it is a faulty diaphragm. I have had this happen to a mic and the it needed a new diaphragm. Send it back.

Alan.

Exact symptoms :( . i guess the diaphragm is done . it has been a long time since i bought it so won't be able to return . It was only for 35 Euros so i can maybe now keep it as a decoration piece and buy a another .

Alan is likely right and that was my original thought, but give it a try with a known 48v source if you can before you totally give up on the mic. Some mics are not very tolerant of low phantom voltage and the B1 may very well be one of them.

If you do buy another mic, check the specs to be sure it can operate on a lower voltage. Look for a spec that gives a range for the phantom as shown below (this happens to be an AT3035). If it states something like 48v +/-4v, it may not work on 15v.

While I do think the diaphragm is gone, another problem you can have with phantom power is crap microphone leads. Cheap leads with crap wire thickness and crap insulation (have I used crap too much?) seem to cause a voltage drop within the cable, I have come across this problem before. However the symptoms seem to point to a diaphragm problem.

Alan.

P.S, give Behringer service a ring and see if they will fix it under warranty? I have had a diaphragm go in a secondhand Rode mic and they guarantee the diaphragms for 10 years, don't know what Behringer's warranty is?

Back