Beginner's Mic Queries!!!

Ma/T

All I know is that I need some mics. From the limited understanding that I have, I know that there are two types of mics : Condenser Mics and . . . okay well I forget the other one, and they probably are more. Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. What kind of mic would I need for recording vocals and what kind of mic would work the best for recording the cleanest sound samples from a wide range of sources? I have an electric condenser mic (the SONY ECM-MS907) that I bought for $100 along with a Sony portable minidisc recorder that I had intended on using to go out and sample some sounds, but now I am thinking that I might want a higher resolution mic (even though I haven't even attempted to use my current setup yet!). The mic I have for the minidisc has a frequency response of 100- 15,000 Hz if that helps you decide how good it is for professional use. So should I shop for another mic to replace this condenser mic that is best used for recording __________, or would I be able to use that mic but just buy the other kind of mic that is used more appropriately for recording ___________? Who can give me their two cents of mic specifics, mic brands and just overall mic background!!!??? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. In case it is relevant I also have a Mac with logic Audio, maxed RAM, a keyboard controller, and plan on getting Aardvarks' Direct Mix (IF THEY EVER RELEASE IT!!!). Now if I could just figure out what kind of mics I need. . . . .

THANKS!!!

My 2 Cents eh?

I'd grab a dynamic(that other type :)) and a good large-diaphram condenser. For the dynamic, i'd have to recommend a Shure SM-57...about $90 or so. It's a great mic, and incredibly versitile. This is the mic you'd use for guitars(amps and acoustic) basses, drums, etc... basically an instrument mic.

For the condenser, i'd look around this BBS for recommendations. Some people like the Rode NT-1. I just ordered a Marshall MXL-2001. At any rate, you can get a pretty good entry-level condenser for $200 or less. This is the mic you'd do all your vocals, and some acoustic work on.

There ya go. Get one of each and you'll be set to go. It'll be at least enough to get you started, while you upgrade other gear...then it's BACK to the mics to replace them down the line...that vicious circle.....

***Justin***

A small diaphram condensor usally sounds better on an acoustic guitar. A large diaphram usally sounds better on vocals and other stuff like micing an electric guitar amp 6 feet back, then placing a dynamic (shure 57) up to the grill.

Don't forget to get a mic preamp. The ART MP ($99) or the PreSonus Blue Tube ($160) are good choices for a cheap price.

The studio projects C1 is a great choice in that you may not have to get a better one ever. It will save you in buying several mics on the way to that great mic.

For minidisc recording I have to reccomend marshall 603s because they are 60.00 each and are heavily reccomended.

Back