bass drum/bass guitar mic?

elementary

Hey everyone,
I'm currently looking for a decent microphone predominantly for recording bass drum and some bass guitar and was wondering what advice people round here might give? I'd like a mic with a powerful low end and a little click in the upper midrange to accentuate the beater. I'm an 18 year old student so needless to say, I'm on a tight budget. I was thinking an Audio Technica Pro 25 as i can get one for about £70 although i could possibly be swayed by an AKG D112 or equivalent if anyone here thinks it would be worth it? please help. Thanks very much.

IMO, the AT Pro 25 sucks, get the ATM25 instead... the AKG D112 can be nice... but I have a feeling the sound you're looking for is the Sennheiser MD421 (powerful).

Make sure the drum sounds good in the first place. Don't expect any mic to add something that you don't already hear.

D112 is my fav.

ATM25,Audix D6,AKG D112,Shure Beta 52...in that order..All make most drums sound good though you should be sure of your tuning and tightness of all the hardware and quality of the heads before assessing what will sound best for your situation.........................BTW....the 'Best' would be a two mic set-up consisting of an MD421 inside and a Neumann U47 outside...through a couple of V72 preamps....but thats just me..

Back