Avalon VT 737 Character?

caseybasichis

Hi,
Could someone please clue me into the character of the Avalon 737 mic pre? Is it attempting to be transparent or colored? If colored what might it be compared to? I have a peluso 22 47 le mic thats going to be recording male vocals (mostly soft breathy stuff not a whole lot of screaming) and im trying to decide on a mic pre. I was gonna go for a neve clone but thats probabley not the best for that application ehh? I only need one channel and i dont really need a compressor or eq, the only reason Im looking at the avalon was Sigur Ros was using one and Im a sucker like that. Any other suggestions for 1 channel around $1000 ish?

I was thinking about the Grace 101, the Hamptones, Seventh Circle and The Great River. I think i want to go for a more colored sound which i suppose would rule out the grace but Ive heard such great thing about it. I guess the goal is to make the vocals sound "sweeter". It doesn't seem like there are many tube pres in this range, I know it doesn't really make a difference, but it is kind of strange.

Casey

Back