Automatic Pitch Correction:

I used Antares Auto-Tune on one vocal, on one song. The singer can't carry a tune in a sealed sample jar, but it was his song, and he was going to sing it! I haven't used it since (and that was about 3 years ago). I'm not that nuts about everything being perfect. I don't line up drum hits and I don't worry about a few cents sharp or flat. I sincerely believe that we obsess over that stuff only because we can, and I would rather obsess over the music. Otherwise, why not just program a sequencer/synth and make everything perfect? My virtual $.02.

HarleyRider said:
Out of curiosity......no disrespect intended (I dont want to piss anybody off....you guys are great and helped me in the past).....have you guys actually used the products or is this just opinion. While I respect your opinions I'm guided by actual experience. Thanks
I use the plugin all the time (in manual mode) with good results on good singers. An awful vocal performance will never sound good no matter how 'in tune' it is. I had one of the hardware units when they first came out and it was just a waste of time. If the singer was too far off, I would have to back the tape up, set the unit to the note he was supposed to hit, run the voc through it, stop the tape, set the unit back, and move on. These things are out there but a lot of them do harmonies and that is what they are being used for. There is no substitute for a good performance and no machine that will magically turn a bad one good. Don't waste your money and just practice singing.

I worked with a guy who uses one live a few weeks ago, in a smaller club. The people close to the stage could hear the difference thanks to his loud out-of-tune-ness.
Pretty damn funny, if you ask me.

why use autotune when you have the best autotune device in the world? it's called the ears. instead of tweaking autotune so that it works for you...tweak your ears so that they'll work for you.

the only thing worse than an out-of-tune singer is the the out-of-tune singer that tries to embellish their notes. first things first, get the notes in tune and the rhythm correct. everything else is secondary...

Back