Audiotechnica AT2050 stereo recording

Ignition101

Hey everyone,

I'm new on this forum and I'm hoping to find answers here :)

I'm trying to record a song with the Audiotechnica AT2050 mic plugged to my laptop via a Saffire 6 USB external sound card. I'm using Audacity to try and record but for some reason when I record via my AT2050 the recording is only mono even if I'm set on 2 channels stereo recording? And when I try to record from the integrated mic on my laptop the stereo recording works just fine. Is it because these mic only record mono? I want to upload a song on youtube but I don't want the play back to be mono....

Any ideas or solutions? Anything will be appreciate it.

Thank you so much :)

1 source = mono (ie 1 mic = mono)

add a stereo backing track and presto you have a stereo track

Thank you for your reply.

But then when I play the song via headphone or speakers, the vocals come out from one channel only (mono) while the song in the background comes out from both channels (stereo).

And if one input = 1 channel (mono), how come when I record from my laptop mic it's 2 channels?

I'm confused... thanks again :)

Are you sure that you are sending your microphone signal to both the right and left channels in your "in-the-box" mixer?
My guess is that there is a "virtual pan L/R knob" on your "virtual mixer" that needs to be moved to "12-Oclock".
Hope this helps!
Bob G.

The AT2050 is a mono mike. It can only deliver a mono signal.

In Audacity, you need to set the track on which you're going to record to mono. On playback, you need to set the pan to center, unless you want it to one side.

The 'integrated mike' is also mono. It is sending its signal to both channels.

If you are singing to a backing track, this will, as kip4 says, give you a stereo field.

Back