Audio Technica Mic Shootout (Bluegrass Band)

trpullen

I had my bluegrass band over this evening and decided to test the AT-4033a, the AT-4040, and a pair of AT-3031 mics to determine which reproduced the sound of the band with one or two mics (like they did in the old days). We are talking all acoustic instruments here. Martin D-21 from the late 60s, newish Gibson F-5 Mando, Recording King banjo and my Taylor AB-3 bass amplified to a similar level as the rest of the band. We stood in a semi-circle and played and sang into the mics one at a time.

I drove the band NUTS. However, upon playback, the band agreed with my thoughts. It was a unanimous vote. We recorded the same song over and over with each mic. Tried placement techniques, etc. Got what we considered the best from each mic for our needs.

I used my dbx 386 mic pre, with no tone shaping on and my SONY CDR-W33 with no tone shaping one. Pure mic signal right to the CD. Recorded each at about -3dB peak.

Hands down, for our application, the AT-4033a is the clear winner. Much more “musical” than the others. It has a strong upper mid peak that really makes banjo, mandolin and voice just jump out at you. Also has nice capacity for low end and really sounds true there.

Followed by the AT-3031 mics. The AT-3031 sounds slightly “tubby” in the lowerer mids. It is a very live mic and has great top end sizzle but cannot get the low end to be full without getting ugly. It was crisper than the 4033 but did not have the “attack”.

The AT-4040 has NO personality. The new flatter sound lacks any sense of “life”. It suffers from the same problem that I find with the AT-4050, a mic that I personally do not like at all.

Now, I do like the sound of the AT-4047 (the FET one) but that is another story and we did not test that one tonight.

I did a similar session last week - all acoustic, 6 piece bluegrass group (Sterling RB250 type banjo, A2 Flatiron mando, Martin D28, Dobro, fiddle, and upright bass; guitar and bass players sang).

Wound up using MXL-603S on everything, except I used a Behringer ECM8000 on bass, a Shure SM-81 on fiddle, and the Marshall V77s on vocals. Has everybody in a circle.

Turned out great, and had really good separation on everything.

I am literally talking one mic for everything. If you have a vocal or a solo, you step in. Here is a recent gig with the AT-4033a.

DCP03184.jpg

DCP03185.jpg

I would agree with ya. The AT 4033 is a wonderful mic...especially for bluegrass. I have used it many times with my band and my father uses the AT 4033 for all of his bands performances as well, with just the one mic. I recently was given an AT 3035 which I am playing around with to do some digital recording.

Nate

The 4033 sure gets a lot of play in Bluegrass circles...I think the Lawson/McCoury use of the mic sure sold a lot of those units...

I did a similar shootout at one point and wound up with a U87...but who wants to lug one of those to dusty festivals?

The duel mic setup ala the Reischmann band sounds real good to me...
They use 2 451's if I remember correctly, with maybe a tad of DI on the bass (unlike the McCoury's who just go with bass bleed into the 4033)...

For recording, I recently did a session with a single RCA 44BX ribbon mic into an Altec 1567a mic pre, and the results were very authentic (probably because that's what the bands used to use...). 2 high overheads (Altec coke bottle omnis) provided the stereo image...and that was it. Oh, an EV 666 on the bass...

The 44 is a figure 8 mic, so positioning the band is interesting. There are some real nulls off axis, so that's where you put the banjo player (g)...

Seriously, working a figure 8 with a Bluegrass band is a very effective way to record. You're able to see one another better than working a cardiod, and the ribbon just seems to like recording bands...it's kind of a self-mixing mic once the band figures out where and where not to stand...

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com

Doesn't it just amaze you though that all the instruments really "auto-mix"? I guess the players do that by reacting to what they hear but....we find that the AT4033 has improved to sound of the band a great deal just because we are all standing near each other and singing towards each other.

I would never go back to the multi-mic way now.

Oh and yeah, Del McCoury uses the 4033. I called his manager after seeing him live. Asked what it was and bought one on the way home that day. :)

Like AT4033? I'll bet you'd like (2) better. I'd go back to the multimicing way and try a matched coincedent pair. You get more control of pickup field overlap than with a figure 8, and you can still see each other. I would overdub the vocals, though. I know it's harder to do the playing and singing separately, but you learn. Nice playing, by the way, it's the kind of stuff I would find easy to sing to.-Richie

Thanks. That song is one of our new originals. We are going to have a CD out shortly. Most likely we are going to have them for free if you want to burn your own or cheap if we burn them for you.

I am looking for another 4033 but they are all gone. The rep does not have any and can't get any.

I am calling dealers now.

Alton is just outside (north of) St. Louis.

We are playing a benefit for the DeWitt County Museum in Clinton, IL. That one's on Saturday, August 3. We have played around the Champaign area a bit. Have friends and family there.

Buckeye Creek

trpullen,

I have heard so much good stuff about the AT 4033...I will definitely have that on my wish list/ look for hot deals list.

Forgive me if this is the wong place to ask but you are the first one I have encountered on line (or in person) with one of those Taylor basses.

Q1 Are they as sweet as the reviews and how is the sound volume compared to lesser acoustic bass guitars?

Q2 how do you like the DI sound out of the bass with a good preamp or DI box for recording?

Q3 you said the taylor in your recording was "amplified to a similiar level" of the other instruments...I only saw the monitors in your on stage live pic. What kind of amp do you use for the recordings?

Thanks in advance.

trpullen said:
Now, I do like the sound of the AT-4047 (the FET one) but that is another story and we did not test that one tonight.

Just wanna chime in and say that the AT-4047 is a beautiful friggin mic. Love it for vox. (Nothing more to contribute -- just the one little comment :))

Chad

Scooter B said:
trpullen,

Forgive me if this is the wong place to ask but you are the first one I have encountered on line (or in person) with one of those Taylor basses.

Q1 Are they as sweet as the reviews and how is the sound volume compared to lesser acoustic bass guitars?

Yes. It is by far the best acoustic I played. I owned a Washburn and a Martin and both paled in comparison. I have warmed up backstage with the band unplugged. I would not gig that way but for a couple songs, it works and has some volume and lots of depth.

Q2 how do you like the DI sound out of the bass with a good preamp or DI box for recording?

I use the SansAmp Acoustic DI. I find the tube mic emulation takes some of the ugliness off the piezo quack. There is way too much high end in the bass for my needs but it does work well with a pick doing rock stuff so I am not looking for Taylor to change it. The DI is fine and really warms the quack.

Q3 you said the taylor in your recording was "amplified to a similiar level" of the other instruments...I only saw the monitors in your on stage live pic. What kind of amp do you use for the recordings?

Oh man...busted!!!! :eek: I amplified my bass using the SansAmp DI into a set of Altec Lansing AC-?? computer speakers with a little sub. $79. I always practice that way. It has enough volume and sounds good enough to get the message across. Live I do not use anything on stage...just the DI into the PA. The bass is plenty loud enough to verify notes.

Thanks in advance.

No prob....my pleasure.

trpullen,

Thanks again in reverse (as opposed to advance).

Hey I saw a 4033 "SE" at MARS on clearance for $270 - demo floor model but it came with a shock mount.

I was tempted but did not have the cash...still gotta save up but the SE suffix (Special Edition?)
worried me that it might be a budget version. I just have not heard of the SE version.

Anyone know about it?

The SE is just Gold on the standard 4033. Same mic but meant to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the mic. Comes in a nice wooden box.

Back