Audio Technica ATR 30 - Decent Entry Level Mic?

mesboogie

I just picked up a small 8 channel mixer and am starting to record via my pc. I want to get a decent starter microphone for under $100.

A friend owns an Audio Technica ATR 30 microphone ($45 new) that he swears by (he also owns Shure SM57 & 58's). He primarily uses it for vocals (which is what I need it for). I'm certain, having scanned the boards here, that I should probably get a condensor mic. I'm not ready to spend that kind of cash for a mic at this point.

Any input/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-MesBoogie

Decent Entry Level Mic

Never used ATR 30. I have used Shure SM-57 and SM-58 mics a lot. Both are mics are very versatile. In my opinion, the SM-57 is great as an instrument mic (acoustic guitar, guitar amp, drums, etc.) and can be used for vocals. The SM-58 is good for vocals. Of course a good condensor mic is the best for instruments and vocals but you'd have to be willing to spend at least $200. The nice thing about the SM-57 and SM-58 is they can be used in live performance as well as recording. Even down the road when you can afford more expensive condensor mics, you will still use the SM-57 and SM-58 at the very least for live performance but also for many home recording applications. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with these mics.

Back