Audio Technica ATM-31?

P Hallin

Audio Technica ATM-31, any opinions about this. I know A T is a great brand but this mic is maybe more for performance than recording?
Any thoughts? (Im asking cus I can get one cheap n´used)

I still have the old battery ones- (10 or more years old?). As I recall, they could overload on a close vocal. Maybe the phantom power version would have more head room. The last time I used one was to fill out a live accoustic gig. They're not exactly to die for.:) Also, at least on the early versions, I think they may not be compatible with phantom. A bit of a hassle if the board has global power.
Hope that helps.
Wayne

Last ones I saw were battery, but worked with phantom also. How cheap is cheap? If we're talking 25 bucks, nab it. $50 or more, pass. You can get an MXL-603S for $70-$80 which is a stunning little instrument condenser.

TP

Ok then I´ll pass. Its about 80 bucks...

Im looking more at adk gc-1 or jjlabs and TSM´s samey priced (round 100$) condensers and im confused...

I've seen ADK's little instrument condenser, it has the same body as the MXL603 but different grille. However, the MXL603 is a known quantity, many of us here own at least a pair and use them regularly.

Just go to www.8thstreet.com or www.shreveaudio.com and look for the 603. 8th Street has them consistently for $79, sometimes Shreve has them for $69. You can do a LOT worse than the 603 for a good bit MORE money.

TP

Ah, I see from another thread you're looking more for large-diaphragm mikes. I had assumed since you were looking at an ATM-31 you wanted an instrument condenser. That's what I get for firing up the computer without having coffee first :D

Anyway, you say you want to record vocals and acoustic guitar? Many of the inexpensive large-diaphragm mikes sound boomy on acoustic guitars due to their strong proximity effect and recessed midrange, the characteristics that give them a rich sound on many voices. You may well want to look into a combo of MXL603 for guitar and an MXL V67 for vocals. Yamaha is distributing the MXL mikes in Europe now.

If you can only afford to start out with one, try the 603 first. It's a flatter, more accurate mike than the large-capsule mikes, which isn't flattering to some voices. It can sound very good on certain voices, however. Use a 2-stage pop filter though, it's quite sensitive to pops.

Enough babbling from me for now... :)

TP

Thanks for all help but the confusion reigns on...

Thought both MXL v67 AND the v77 seemed intresting...

Got to go see if they got any down town...

Back