Audio-technica AT4040

Thanks guys, I should be purchasing it today. I was told yesterday to get a neuman or blueberry mic for recording puroposes. Are they better mics?

I have an AT 4047 too. I think the 4040 is good but the 4047 is worth the extra bucks.

jdizzel said:
Thanks guys, I should be purchasing it today. I was told yesterday to get a neuman or blueberry mic for recording puroposes. Are they better mics?

It depends on your personal tastes, and what you look for in a mic. But generally speaking, yea, those other mics are much more expensive and there's a reason for that. It's not always the case that expensive mics are necessarily better . . . and certainly I'd say the 4040 outperforms it's price tag, but let's be honest with ourselves here. :D

Two mics I really like are the AT4040 Audio-Technica AT4040 and the Blue Baby Bottle. Both of these mics are kind of plane jane in terms of not having a designer EQ tweak. The Baby Bottle is a hot mic in terms of signal. The AT4040 is not quite as hot but I'd still call it hot. Both seem to put out a fatter sort of sound.

I think AT4040 the AT4040 get its due but the Baby Bottle is the most slept on mic in the universe. I got theories about why this is the case.

chessrock said:
It depends on your personal tastes, and what you look for in a mic. But generally speaking, yea, those other mics are much more expensive and there's a reason for that. It's not always the case that expensive mics are necessarily better . . . and certainly I'd say the 4040 outperforms it's price tag, but let's be honest with ourselves here. :D

thanks, your right! I checked the price on those mics and thery were far more exspensive than I thought. I went with my orginal plan and purchaed the 40 series and i love it!!

I would love to hear some posts.

Im thinking about the 4040 myself or the one thats a step up from it.

Is gonna be out of the 4040 or the SM-7.

What kinda micpre are you using?

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi,

For the AT4047SV I use either Vintech 1073/1272 mic preamps or an old Altec Lansing 1612A Mixer/Limiting Amplifier preamp that a friend of mine modified. This one sounds quite amazing! Or no preamp at all --just through my mixer's internal preamps. I also have an old heavily modified ART TubePAC that comes into use once in a great while. I find that the 4047SV sound great in any situation preamp or no preamp with just a phantom power box. It all depends upon what kind of sound you're going for.:)

LI_Slim said:
I have an AT 4047 too. I think the 4040 is good but the 4047 is worth the extra bucks.

What are some of the noticable differences that you hear between the two. I think I have made up my mind, ,Im liking the 40 series. I just have to find the one that would fit my needs. I really need to listen to the d@mn things. sh@t!!!

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi bgavin,

The AT4040 & AT4047SV are two different sounding microphones. If I'm not mistaken the AT4047SV is transformer coupled microphone while the 4040 is a transformerless (electret) style microphone. I'd say AT4040 the AT4040 has a deeper tone (with a hotter output too). The AT4047SV is clearer and speaks with more upper midrange in its response. I like them both but if pushed, I'd go with the AT4047SV. There is just something about the AT4047SV which I really love. I really like the A-T 40 Series.

However, one more microphone I would listen to is the AKG C 4000B. Here you'll get multiple polar patterns and a very versatile microphone with a nice sound to it. Very quiet too [at 8 dB self noise].

Too many great mics and too little time to record.....:(

Thanks for the update. The AT4040 is definitely not an electret. It is an externally polarized condensor type, as per the data sheet.

I own AT4040 the AT4040 and am pleased with it. But... there is a desire for a multi-pattern mic such as the AT4050. I'd like to achieve variety in tone/coloration, for vocals or acoustic instruments.

For example, it would be nice to have both bright and dark mics, so I could record banjos and female voices. My LDC types will be used for voices and non-electric instrument recording.

Hi bgavin,

Oops, sorry I should have left out the "electret" part huh? But even so one is externally biased while the other is not.:)

Back