Audio Technica at4033 vs Rode NTK for saxophone

Eric Fornaro

I am looking for a microphone to get me into the world of home recording for my saxophone with a budget of $200 for the mic. I have found some great deals on ebay where I could potentially get an at4033 or a rode NTK within my budget. The NTK is priced very aggressively in an ebay auction (starting bid $125) so there is a chance I will not be able to get it depending on how much interest it gets. I understand the at4033 and NTK are very different mics, but I was wondering if anyone knew which one would record a saxophone better. The NTK is obviously more expensive but I know that doesn't always mean everything. Thank you!

Also one note: the seller of the NTK says the previous owner may have been a smoker. Will this have ruined the mic? Or will the sound be pretty much the same?

... I was wondering if anyone knew which one would record a saxophone better.

I wouldn't get either of them for sax...and instead look for a ribbon mic. Do some research, you'll see that ribbons are used the most for any kind of horns/brass.

Go check out a Cascade Fat Head for as little as $160...or opt for the Fat Head II with Lundahl transformer if you want their best, and you would be getting a brand new mic instead of someone's used mic.

http://cascademicrophones.com/microphones.html

Although there are many AT mics that I really like, I've never been a big fan of the 4033. I've always found them to be dull. The NTK is a great mic, but it wouldn't be the first mic I would go to for recording brass. I recently recorded brass with a Sennheiser E609 and it was perfect. I bought the E609 for electric guitar but I have never been happy with it for that application. I was relieved that I finally found something that the mic was good for. I would also recommend a Cad E300, a great mic that works on just about everything but won't break the bank.

Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it a lot. However, I have heard the fathead and I believe I used it to record at a friend's studio during a jam session once and it doesn't flatter my sound very much. I'm not a huge fan of ribbon mics in general, to my ears they are a bit veiled or muffled up top and don't seem to have as much clarity as comparable condenser mics (though that might just be due to the veil I perceive). They sound good on trumpets and other brass but saxophones aren't actually brass instruments (they are woodwinds) so they sound quite different. I may get a fathead down the road to try it out but for now I want to get a condenser mic.

Although there are many AT mics that I really like, I've never been a big fan of the 4033. I've always found them to be dull. The NTK is a great mic, but it wouldn't be the first mic I would go to for recording brass. I recently recorded brass with a Sennheiser E609 and it was perfect. I bought the E609 for electric guitar but I have never been happy with it for that application. I was relieved that I finally found something that the mic was good for. I would also recommend a Cad E300, a great mic that works on just about everything but won't break the bank.

The cad e300 is a bit out of my price range at the moment, so I would prefer to get something a bit cheaper. I've heard the NTK used on sax and loved the sound. I haven't heard the at4033 on sax but I've heard condensers that (to my ears at least) sound very similar and also liked the sound. I've also heard comparisons of the at4033 and NTK on male vocals, which are quite similar to the lower range of a tenor saxophone, and on acoustic guitar. The NTK is a better mic to my ears but my main question would be do you think that one of the owners having been a smoker should deter me from getting the NTK? Also, would there be any other mics (possibly similar to the cad e300 if that's what you recommend) more in my price range (around $200 used)? I have no problems with used gear as long as it works. Thanks!

I have heard the fathead and I believe I used it to record at a friend's studio during a jam session once and it doesn't flatter my sound very much.

Then I would suggest the Fat Head II with the Lundahl transformer...it opens up the top end.
Also, the very early Fat Heads were kind of darker.

The Sennheiser E609 mentioned is another option for sure....or maybe a Beyerdynamic ribbon, which I think is one of the more open, almost "brighter" sounding ribbons, without the edge.

A ribbon or dynamic will be the better choice I think, but you can go with a condenser mic if you really want...though IMO, most will make brass or woodwinds sound on the harsh/strident side, and then you're going to be EQ'ing to fix it.
Of course, if you plan to use the same mic for other duties...then that's something else to consider.

Another note: would an at4040 be better? From a comparison I've heard I couldn't hear much of a difference between the at4040 and at4033. However, it was just one comparison and it wasn't the best comparison either.

Then I would suggest the Fat Head II with the Lundahl transformer...it opens up the top end.
Also, the very early Fat Heads were kind of darker.

The Sennheiser E609 mentioned is another option for sure....or maybe a Beyerdynamic ribbon, which I think is one of the more open, almost "brighter" sounding ribbons, without the edge.

A ribbon or dynamic will be the better choice I think, but you can go with a condenser mic if you really want...though IMO, most will make brass or woodwinds sound on the harsh/strident side, and then you're going to be EQ'ing to fix it.
Of course, if you plan to use the same mic for other duties...then that's something else to consider.

Ok thanks! I didn't know the fathead II would be very different. I will definitely take that into consideration.

Ok thanks! I didn't know the fathead II would be very different. I will definitely take that into consideration.

Go to their website with the link I posted previously...it looks like they now sell the Fat Head II mics exclusively w/Lundahl transformers...but they still offer the original without.

It does depend on what type of sax sound you want, soul music with stabs is different to jazz for example, I second miroslav, I have used a Fat Head ribbon with great results, don't stick it down the bell, place it in front of the sax about midway height wise, very natural sound. If you want a solid soul sound you could get a Sennheiser 421, great on brass.

Alan

Back