Audio-Technica AT2020+ Won't pick up voice.

varxtis

Does anyone know if there are drivers or settings for the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+
Im having trouble with it picking up my voice unless im basically kissing the thing.
over a year ago i went through a series of mics that had the same problem (each tested on different pcs). I came across one, the CAD U1 that FINALLY picked up my voice from a foot or so away. BUT it always has a buzzing noise caused by the power supply. im confident thats the problem as it went away when plugged into a laptop that wasnt plugged into the wall.
SO My search resumed recently and came across the researched I Audio-Technica AT2020USB+. This time i researched for about a month before buying. no one seemed to have any issues with it that i came across.

I've seen bloggers like Jared Shaw (Cynical) at thegamersjoint and Evan Abrams do blogs and their mic is a good distance aw, or even out of frame.

help please.

Seems like there’s been a couple of these recently and it had to do with the levels in the Windows sound setting. Hope I’m remembering that right.

The manual does go through the setup Windows 7 (not sure if Win10 is similar), is pretty straight forward, and does show how to set the levels in microphone properties so he 'should' be OK for the level setting. Mac OS X is also in the manual. No drivers to be found on Audio Technica's site.

- What OS are you using?
- What DAW software are you using to record?
- The AT2020USB+ has a headphone jack which allows direct moniyoring. Can you hear yourself with headphones?

If using Win10, there was a recent update for privacy. It disables mics unless the mic is enabled in the privacy setting. You do get something through the mic, so it may not be this.

OS - Windows 10 - Ver. 1709 (Build 16299.431)
DAW - I've tried Adobe Audition CC (up to date), Audacity, and Windows default voice recorder. I have the same problem with all programs.
Headphone jack - I hadn't even thought to try that. I just now tried (I muted the levels in the PC while i did this) and it sounded AMAZING!!! Its so clear and picks up very well. When I get as far as I could with the CAD U1, it gets a bit hollow/echoe-e. But it definitely tells me its firmware/os related. Im confident it's not hardware since as I said, this problem has persisted with various mics over various machines.
so. . . any suggestions?

Just to verify, you have gone into the microphone properties in Windows as shown in the user manual and have set the microphone level to a higher/highest value as shown below. I'm not sure you'll have 'Microphone Boost' with a USB mic, my AT2005USB mic did not.
Also not sure which Win10 update did it, but check that the privacy setting allow your mic to be used with apps as shown below.

Attachments

• 52-376x500.png
    52-376x500.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
  • windows-10-privacy-settings-microphone-400x315.jpg
    windows-10-privacy-settings-microphone-400x315.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 961
Ya, I made sure to increase the levels higher. This does help.... buuuut. . . when I get into the 80s (which is kind of necessary) it sounds more like it's just forcing the output sound higher, making is a fake input increase. Idk how to explain it, but I don't like going to high because it doesn't sound like it's truly effecting the input sensitivity, but just forcing it to be louder, if that makes any sense. Ironically, I would think that would be the role of the "Microphone Boost", which as you thought, I do not have.
There is indeed a microphone option in privacy, but it is enabled.
With the CAD U1, I didn't have to mess with the microiphone "level" really. Plugged in, picked up great. But with the AT2020+, it's like I do have to force it by increasing the level to low 90s. Again, my apprehension about this is it doesnt seem to be a "fix" but rather just turning up the volume setting type of thing.

Wanted to follow upto see if there were any other suggestions. But honestly, based on what I've found, the suggestions you gave were pretty much everything :( maybe I'm wrong, let me know. but either way, I've set Volume at 90. This allows to me to record with about 5-6in between me and the mic. Should do the job fine. Just can't V-blog or video record without Mic in frame.
It is what it is. Thanky you though everyone! I appreciate all the help :thumbs up:

Back