Audio Technica 3035--comments?

shackx2

I think this is a pretty new Mic and I'm curious if anybody has had any experience with it.

I was comparing it to a bunch of mics in their display at Marrs, and it seemed to compare with much more expensive mics. I know that's not the best of ways to test a mic, but I was really impressed.

Just curious if anybody knows anything about them.

-shack

looks cool

the look of it looks really cool ( i think it looks a little coolor that my AT4033). but my opinion, is try and save up anothe $150 or so and get a AT4033. They AT4033 is a wonderful mic, with great versitility. But if the $150 will be pushing it, i really dont think you can go wrong with the 3035 (or at least you wont regret it). I think just about anything Audio Technica makes you will get your moneys worth.

however, i would also look at some other mics in the same price range. check out Rodes and Project Studios. i know that alot of the Studio Project C1 microphone reviews could just be mostly a hype, but from what i know it is a pretty decent mic. really where i think they went wrong were the claims that it sounded like a U87. who cares if it doesnt, if it sounds almost as good as one of those, er even as good as an AT4033, its worth its $200. I would just look at some other mics to have us compare to.

later,
darnold

Re: at3035 vs. C1

Based on it's sensitivity rating, the at3035 would work best in a
very quiet room. That's one of the reasons I picked the C1 over
it. In addition, on my voice at least, the C1 was superior to the
at4033, and I doubt the at3035 is as good as the at4033!
Rip Rowen at prorec seemed to think the C1 sounded better
than the at4050 (multi-pattern version of at4033).

EQ loves just about anything.....

You have to read reviews with a grain of salt, and understand the orientation of the magazine and its intended audience.

I've read stuff in Recording magazine that would make a pro laugh his head off.... while what was written was perfectly true within the context of someone working with demo gear in their bedroom, it wasn't true at all in a pro situation, and if the reader didn't realize the magazine's intended audience, they wouldn't know the difference and would misinterpret the application in the future.

But anyways, as far as the 3035 goes, I haven't tried it, it might be quite good, but then again, the 4033 is only about 150$ more (as was already mentioned), why not simply get that unit??? And it is a proven winner.........

Bruce

Good place to compare mics?

chessparov, or anyone--
where did you find a place to try/compare the C1 and the 3035? Any places in Boston or New York or somewhere in between that anyone knows of that carry both? Thanks.

rogerwilco, although I haven't tried the at3035, it's sensitivity is about the
same as the AKGC3000B I sold because it picked up too much ambient
noise at home. Get the Studio Projects C1-it rocks. (See how a statement
like that scientifically PROVES it's the best!)

P.S. Bruce, do you think the articles at www.prorec.com are more reliable
than EQ?

Chess...

I've read both good and bad stuff at ProRec and same for EQ. Overall, the mags and website do a reasonable job -- but it's up to the reader to understand where it's coming from and how much weight the info merits.

It all still amounts to opinion.... sometimes qualified, sometimes not!

Bruce

Hm... I took a look at the review, and then got to the bit about...

"Conclusions
I see great things in the AT3035’s future:..."

er, um - could one also see a cheque in the mail... perhaps? - or am I being too cynical...

- Wil

chessparov said:
rogerwilco, although I haven't tried the at3035, it's sensitivity is about the
same as the AKGC3000B I sold because it picked up too much ambient
noise at home. Get the Studio Projects C1-it rocks. (See how a statement
like that scientifically PROVES it's the best!)

P.S. Bruce, do you think the articles at www.prorec.com are more reliable
than EQ?

The C1 is a very sensitive mic ... its a great mic but probably one of the most sensitive cardioid mics Ive ever worked with (that goes for most of the ATs, Rhodes, and Shures). If you have computer fan noise or any equipment that hums ever so slightly in the background itll be picked up by the C1 within 10 feet or so at moderate gain. Thats with the mic facing away from the noise source. Its a great mic but most project studios are not the quietest environments so - be advised.

Back