Audio-Technica

andres

A general question about the brand: they only come with a one year warranty, is the build quality OK? I am debating between three of their mics to record male voice, acoustic guitar, and hand percussion: a pair of 3035s, one 4040, or one 3060. I am leaning towards the 4040 (I went to the listening sessions and thought among the LDCs it was second or third to the AKG mics on acoustic guitar, and the frequency chart would probably compliment a softer male voice).

There is a thread on the first page that speaks highly of the 4040, but I am not really sure whether these mics are that much of a step up from the Chinese condenser crowd. Especially the 3035s -- I am rooting for them though (a stereo pair for under 300 is definitely doable).

I have had a 4033 for almost 10 years now. I use it on drums and vocals and I'm not very kind to mics. No problem so far, even the shock mount has held up.

I like the 4000 series a lot. Very nice clean signal. The 3035 is nice to but not as much body, good on cabs tho and occasionally a vocal

andres said:
A general question about the brand: they only come with a one year warranty, is the build quality OK? I am debating between three of their mics to record male voice, acoustic guitar, and hand percussion: a pair of 3035s, one 4040, or one 3060. I am leaning towards the 4040 (I went to the listening sessions and thought among the LDCs it was second or third to the AKG mics on acoustic guitar, and the frequency chart would probably compliment a softer male voice).

There is a thread on the first page that speaks highly of the 4040, but I am not really sure whether these mics are that much of a step up from the Chinese condenser crowd. Especially the 3035s -- I am rooting for them though (a stereo pair for under 300 is definitely doable).

I have a few audio technica mics and have bought and sold many more on ebay, the build quality is excellent as can be expected from the japanese. Some of their no brand, matt painted models are built in china but even those seem to be well finished.

My only complaint about any audio technica mics is my midnight blues mics .. the rubbery, velour paint kind of rotted and came off one mic, I suspect someone cleaned it with solvent though.

I have an oktava Mk319 an AT3035 and a Behringer B1 condensor (along with a bunch of shure dynamics) and the B1 honestly dominates the AT3035 when it comes to male vocals in my opinion. I've used it on about 5 different male vocals and it really is an amazing mic. I'm not impressed with the AT3035 and would be willing to sell it for cheap if you're really wanting one. Look into the B1. That mic consistently amazees me.

I own several A-T mics.

My AT4040 and AT4047 are excellent in build quality and performance.
My ATM23HE seem to be a well kept secret for drum use. Very close to the Beyer M201 on snare, and excellent on toms. I have a pair of ATM25 for kick and floor tom. Both are big and fat in this use.

Strave said:
I have an oktava Mk319 an AT3035 and a Behringer B1 condensor (along with a bunch of shure dynamics) and the B1 honestly dominates the AT3035 when it comes to male vocals in my opinion. I've used it on about 5 different male vocals and it really is an amazing mic. I'm not impressed with the AT3035 and would be willing to sell it for cheap if you're really wanting one. Look into the B1. That mic consistently amazees me.

i have the behringer b1 and i thought about getting the AT3035 thanks for the heads up

It might be worth noting as mentioned in another thread, that the 3035 isn't really a LDC. It's in a housing traditionally used for LDC's, but the diaphram is less that 1" in diameter. This probably explains why the Behri B1 out-performs the 3035 on vocals, but as far as build quality, I'd take a 3035 over a Behri B1 anyday.

andres said:

Depends what you want...a pair of 3035's would be great as overheads or for general stereo recording, and should be good on guitar cabs', but the 4040 is going to blow it away for vocals.

I decided that I don't want to buy twice, so there are now just two contenders -- the AT4040 and the AT4047. I can't go and test them out, but I have read enough on the forums (and listened to the listeningsessions) to know that I really can't go wrong with either of these mics. Specifically what I am going to record with these (in mono):

Martin N20 Classical guitar
All wood Blueridge D18 clone
my voice (midrange-y, closer to tenor)
Edwards small tube amp (marshall/vox15 mix) overdriven
assorted bottles, drums, and anything I can loop/overlay for percussion

For these five applications is the AT4047 worth the extra 200 dollars? Or should I go with the AT4040. I feel like if I get the 4047, I won't suffer from gear lust for at least a few years (my sincere hope).

This would be going through a M-Audio Firewire Solo (and when I get another mic probably an FMR RNC) into Logic Express.

I'm pretty sure the AT4040 is more nuetral, so it might be wiser to start with that. If you need something more specialized you could work up to it later... Just my $.02

Strave said:

how do you like the 3035 vs the mk319?

Sometimes I think I must be the online evangelist for the AT4040 but I play some very expensive guitars and the AT4040 puts them across fairly well. True tenors can be problematic with certain mics and I sometimes end up going with a dynamic rather than a condenser. Good luck.

Back