ATM350 started growling - can it be fixed? Also - other options?

baroquejen

Hi there,

So glad to find this forum! I have been using a clip on condenser mic that I purchased about 6 or 7 years ago - either the ATM 350 or whatever mic was its ancestor. It looks exactly like the 350, though. I clip it to the tailpiece of my cello and I get two things, a wonderful warm sound that captures the resonance of the cello, especially at the lower end, and unfortunately I get feedback since I often play with others and this thing is incredibly sensitive. I was doing a gig the other night, and all of a sudden I started getting a low loud rumbling growling sound that was almost cello-like. Not only a buzz, but much more substantial and quite low. When I pressed on the front of the microphone with my thumb, the rumbling stopped, but started again as soon as I let go. So, that's question 1, does this sound fixable, or is my mic kaput?

Question 2 is - I would eventually like to try a pickup that gives me the same type of sound or close to it, but one which won't give me such insurmountable feedback problems. Has technology improved at all, and are there condenser mics out there that are better able to control feedback. Has anyone tried the Realist - is this the best of the best for cello pickups?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jen

Sounds like a grounding issue. The cord may have been damaged, just get it fixed and save yourself the price of +- $300. for a new one.

I'm curious if your mic was not firmly attached to the tailpiece and you were hearing resonance through the mount? That might explain the low frequency character. Also as you say it stopped when you placed your finger on it--------That may have acted like a dampener. Your mic could be the ATPro35 which replaced the 350 quite a few years back. I would experiment a bit more with it before declaring it broken.

Back