AT4033 or Rode NT1000

Oysterman

I know it's kind of useless to ask things like this, but I'll do it anyway.

I'm going to get a mic to record vocals and possibly acoustic guitar. And that's it. I was looking at the Rode NT1000 which I've only heard good words on, seemed like a very good mic for a decent price. But now there's a used AT4033 floating around which I can grab for about $80 less than a new NT1000, and the price for the AT4033 would include a shockmount... although that is something I hear is not really necessary with the NT1000?

Which would you get out of these two? Should I spend some more money and get the NT1000 or should I grab the chance I have to get the 4033? I know they are both good mics, but are they very different, and if so, in what ways? I haven't heard any of these mics personally so input from anyone who's use both would be invaluable!

I hate making decisions. I always seem to end up making the wrong ones. :(

I'm going to record a male singer with a somewhat bright and *slightly* nasal voice (not me, I can't sing).

I perhaps should add that it's an AT4033se (second edition?) and that it's hardly "used" but rather "pre-owned".

And other popular cheapie LD's such as MXL V67's and SP C1's are not available in my country and it would be a mess to try and import anything.

just flip a coin and make your choice, you can't really go wrong with either one. :)

personally, I'd prefer the 4033, then again I also prefer new mic to a used one.

i own an nt1000 and find it to be very nice, and i got mine for $200 used on ebay. of course i can't vouch for the 4033, but it's diaphragm is actually 1/2" and therefore not a true ld, but you should probably read the extensive mic application thread before deciding if that matters or not (or compare the two).

I have both the 4033 (pair) and an NT1000 and find that the both are very competent, but if I had to choose on the basis of accuracy it would be the Nt1000.

It is also very quiet much more so than the AT.

Back