AT4033, AT4050 or something totally different?

Unknown Child

So you guys helped me come to the conclusion that my mic is probably done fore, without a cleaning that is... which I'm having trouble finding after contacting the locals stores. Fact is, I can't take a very long hiatus from recording, and Im sure the "what mic should I get" question pops up every 5 posts on this board, but I'll try and be a little more particular.

I owned the AT4033 for a very long time, and didn't mind its sound. The artist I record has a deeper voice that brings in quite a bit of "mud" so the -10db roll-off was a nice add-on. I want to to grab a new mic, and I'm not sure whether just to spend the $399 to replace my old one, or drop $699 on the AT4050? Or do I want to try something new, like something in the Blue line? My budget is at the $700 mark.

I need it to be able to handle some blues-rock type singers (think Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, but maybe a slightly deeper voice). And also handle the odd rap from artists that fluctuate a lot between deep and high tones.

My question is.... do I stay with the tried and true that I was "satisfied" with, and that "got the job" done... or does anyone have something in mind that may impress me a bit more? Anything helps, going to purchase Saturday.

Thanks

I own and like the 4033, and if you are familiar with it, I'd go with what you know. But that's just me.

Back