AT2050 or SE2200T?

Nightwingvyse

Hi, first post here. I've been looking for a good condenser mic for recording vocals, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. I've been looking all over the place and am stuck between the SE Electronics SE2200T or the Audio Technica AT2050. Although one is a little more than the other, i can get the more expensive one (the SE2200T) with a free reflection filter, so whichever one i buy it comes to about the same amount.

There are only a few significant comparable differences really. They are obviously of different brands. The AT2050 has a switch between Omnidirectional, cardioid and bidirectional polar patterns, while the SE2200T is only cardioid. However, the SE2200T has a tube in it whereas the AT2050 doesn't.

Does anyone have any experience on both of these mics? (The AT2050's baby brother AT2035 is exactly the same without the polar switch incase you've tried that instead).

Also, i don't know how well these two mics are suited for instruments, but i have been thinking of buying a Shure PG27 in addition to my choice of the two above for versatility. I could also use them both simultaneously for a nice thick mixable sound. On the other hand, i'm not sure if the mics are too similar for it to be worth buying both the PG27 and my choice of the two above.

So in conclusion, can anyone throw in their experience on the first two mics, and perhaps advise whether getting a Shure PG27 along with it is worth it?

Thanks.

Andy.

Back