AT2035 condenser- your personal views please

maxman65

Does anyone have this mic. I've read it's decent (possibly favourable over rode nt1a). I'll be recording in what I consider to be a fairly neutral environment vis a vis reflections etc. Many thanks

I did have one for a while and its good value for money, I only sold it as I have better mics and I was not using it. When we talk about Rode NT1a's people get all the different versions of the NT1's mixed up. They all sound good fro the price but there are differences for the different variants so check out which you prefer.

Personally I think the AT2035 and the Rode NT1a are similar value for money but it comes down to personal choice regarding the sound. Just a side note, I have 5 x rode mics of different models and like them all however I don't have a NT1a.

Alan.

Yes I'm fishing around that sort of price range where I believe there may be a few respectable mics.what seems to come out of reviews on the nt1a is that it tends to be a bit harsh at the top end.The at2035 is apparently smother. A recent discovery is the se2200 which I've yet to find a bad word said against it .smooth clear open .any views on that one? It's beginning to look like the strongest contender in that sort of price category ..

I like my 2035, but I'm not particularly picky. It's the most expensive mic I own and has worked well enough for everything I've thrown at it so far.

If you're shopping in that price range, check out the Lewitt LCT-440 PURE. Very good value at the $250 mark.

Funny you should say that. I was just looking at that exact mic an hour ago. How is that 440 on vocals and acoustic guitar. Do you think I could record both at the right sort of distance and placement . What's is sound character like

I've used my MK300 for both acoustic guitar and voice. I tend to keep it set up for voice, where I really like it, and because I'm still liking my AKG C214 for acoustic if I'm using the LDC. (Not that there's anything wrong with the Miktek!) Plus, moving that brick around and adjusting the basket and all - too much trouble!

Never used the AT or Lauten, so can't comment on those.

Funny you should say that. I was just looking at that exact mic an hour ago. How is that 440 on vocals and acoustic guitar. Do you think I could record both at the right sort of distance and placement . What's is sound character like

I think it's excellent on both. It's got a high-end lift kind of like the Rode family, but I don't find it harsh in the least. It has a very linear low end, and I think the mids sound pleasant. This is all personal opinion, of course, so definitely do your own listening.

Yes I figure the 440 could be a decent choice. I'm in the UK where retailing has a more take it or leave it attitude rather than test it out. I'm wondering if I used a cheap tube preamp like art tube mp it might lend a bit of warmth . I'm using a dp008ex tascam 8 track . I prefer live takes rather than click track overdubs so I'm hoping I can capture acoustic and vocal from a single mic placed optimally between voice and guitar

Thanks arcaxis for pm. Still can't quite figure how to reply to those. I guess that's just one more reason i don't use a computer to record

Thanks arcaxis for pm. Still can't quite figure how to reply to those. I guess that's just one more reason i don't use a computer to record

Seeing your in the UK my PM probably isn't a help.

I'm still primarily recording on a Tascam 2488NEO and use Reaper occasionally for some stuff. Just find physical buttons and faders easier to work with.

Yes nice machine . Cd burner too. These days I figure 8 track should do me . I scoured the marketplace for a pro level type but it doesnt seem to exist .I think tascam figured 8 track as an on the go type product and built and marketed it that way. For less track machines they seemed to find a market in field recorders which look like they probably have more pro preamp and such but they're not really geared to music type .

Yes I figure the 440 could be a decent choice. I'm in the UK where retailing has a more take it or leave it attitude rather than test it out. I'm wondering if I used a cheap tube preamp like art tube mp it might lend a bit of warmth . I'm using a dp008ex tascam 8 track . I prefer live takes rather than click track overdubs so I'm hoping I can capture acoustic and vocal from a single mic placed optimally between voice and guitar

I'm not a fan of the ART Tube MP. It's dark, muddy, and just not a very good preamp in my opinion. It makes an OK bass DI, but I can't imagine the preamps on your Tascam would lose a fight with the Tube MP in any capacity.

The LCT440 isn't bright to the point of ugliness, it just has a high frequency boost that tends to flatter vocals and some acoustic instruments. It works great for a lead vocal, but it might get overbearing if you stack it track over track over track with leads, backups, guitars, etc. Same with just about any vocal-centric mic that has that "air" about it.

Yes good ill take your point . What I'll do then is get hold of the 440 and see how i get on with the +48v which comes out of the tascam. I would stress though that the dp008ex is a very small entry machine and it's difficult to imagine there being anything substantial in there in he way of pre amps

Back