AT2020(USB) + Setup ?'s

Nagela

Hi everyone I have a few questions about the AT2020(USB) + add ons.
The microphone is being mailed to me at the moment so I have to wait for it, and decided to ask other questions that would help out.

1) I use a $10 crappy microphone at the moment (just a typical desktop one) and when I increase the DB (+20 db (30 db is max for my microphone)) and try to record I get "static". Is this because the microphone is bad? Will this happen with the AT2020?

The reason I increase the DB is because on my realtek (the crappy $10 mic) I literally can not hear myself singing, unless I increase the db to at least +10. And +10 isn't good enough since I want my vocals to be a little louder and not quiet.

2) What type of pop filter should I buy for the AT2020? (Links on amazon pop filters would be greatly appreciated) *Keep in mind I'm trying to be cost efficient, this is just something I do for fun so it doesn't need to be perfect.* Hopefully nothing over $20 for a pop filter!

3) What type of desk mount for the microphone should I buy? (Links on amazon would be greatly appreciated)
*By the way I'd only need the microphone to hover about 1 feet (MAX) over my desk. Even a couple inches off my desk would be just fine, because I sing infront of the computer*

Thank you for answering these questions.

*Additional Non Related questions*

4) Should I keep the HZ at highest possible level when recording? When I increase HZ it seems there's more of a chance for "back ground static", but it makes the voice quality much better I've heard.

Reminder I ONLY USE MICROPHONES FOR VOCALS; NO INSTRUMENTALS

Last edited:
Hi Nagela, welcome to HR. You need to supply more info such as what interface are you using or are you going directly into the computer? Since it is a USB mic you are probably hooking directly into the computer. What DAW are you using? As for links to Amazon just google what you are looking for and you should have no trouble finding the links yourself.

Doei

Hi Nagela, welcome to HR. You need to supply more info such as what interface are you using or are you going directly into the computer? Since it is a USB mic you are probably hooking directly into the computer. What DAW are you using? As for links to Amazon just google what you are looking for and you should have no trouble finding the links yourself.

Doei

Hi! I'm using a USB mic and directly hooking it to the computer. For DAW it's just my typical computer desk that I'm planning to use.

For amazon links, I found many of them.. but there are so many similar products so I can't tell which one would be "best".

For pop filters I don't know if i should get a dobule pop filter or regular and how big it should be for the AT2020
I would post links but I need 10 posts or more :/

Musician's Friend has a decent desk boom mic stand. A mic stand with a boom will give you more flexibility with mic placement.

ProLine MS112 Desk Boom Mic Stand | Musician's Friend

As for a pop filter, check out your local music store if you have one. You can pick one up for between $20.00 and $30.00. But if you must go through Amazon this one should be sufficient.

Amazon.com: Nady MPF-6 6-Inch Clamp On Microphone Pop Filter: Musical Instruments

A pop filter doesn't need to be huge. Just look at some of the Blue Microphone pop filters. They are just a little bigger than the diaphragm.

Doei :guitar:

Okay, a few of your questions:

For the pop screen, something like THIS should do fine. It doesn't need to be huge (especially as you seem to work sitting down) and, unless you have a big problem with plosives, you shouldn't need double. There are lots of others in a similar size and price range--I just happened to spot this one first.

Yes, even though I'm not a fan of USB mics, it should still be an improvement over your $10 Realtek. It should also be much more sensitive in terms of a good level.

For a stand, even though you work at a desk, I suggest you go for a floor stand with a boom arm. Why? Because a computer on a desk causes minor vibrations on the desk which any decent mic might pick up. Also, the boom arm gives you way more flexibility in positioning the mic. With a good mic you're always at risk of picking up background noise from your computer etc, so the ability to put the noise source directly behind the mic (where pickup is least) is useful. Something like THIS should do. Make sure you get one with an adjustable boom...I noticed the shysters are selling a few with fixed booms which strikes me as pretty useless. FYI I'd normally recommend spending a bit more on mic stands to make sure they last but your use seems fairly light.

For "Hz" I suggest you record at 44.1 kHz/16 bit. This setting is the only one that will work if you want to burn CDs--anything less and your quality will suffer, anything higher and you'll have to convert before burning a CD.

Back