AT2020 : Trying this for first time with new set-up

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I'm looking at an AT2020 XLR mic as a (digital) home studio starter. My local store has them for $99 + 20ft cable $5 + tabletop stand $7.

I'll be recording mostly acoustic and vocals with no amps or modules in the chain. I am planning on buying a Yamaha acoustic-electric later this year - I'm interested in blending the plugged and non-plugged sounds with that one.

Remember that you'll need an XLR to USB adaptor that supplies 48 volts of phantom power. That will put you back enough that you might want to consider buying an AT2020 USB plus.

Remember that you'll need an XLR to USB adaptor that supplies 48 volts of phantom power. That will put you back enough that you might want to consider buying an AT2020 USB plus.
I would step up to a 'real' USB audio interface rather than an 'adapter'. The USB Plus version of the AT2020 might be a way to get started if the budget is really tight and I believe it does have a way to monitor recorded tracks with headphones.
Get a floor stand and if the mic doesn't include one, a shockmount for the mic. Also a pop filter.

Best setup would be....
- XLR connected mic with shockmount
- USB audio interface (not a mixer with USB)
- Pop filter (pretty necessary for vocals)
- Floor stand (with boom arm can allow easy positioning of mic)
- Closed back headphones

spantini.... where are you located? Might make suggesting gear easier.

I would step up to a 'real' USB audio interface rather than an 'adapter'. The USB Plus version of the AT2020 might be a way to get started if the budget is really tight and I believe it does have a way to monitor recorded tracks with headphones.
Get a floor stand and if the mic doesn't include one, a shockmount for the mic. Also a pop filter.

Best setup would be....
- XLR connected mic with shockmount
- Pop filter (pretty necessary for vocals)
- Floor stand (with boom arm can allow easy positioning of mic)
- Closed back headphones
I think one AI will be enough. :thumbs up: Agreed, why muck around with an adaptor? Just get an AI or mixer. Not sure why you're saying get an AI vs a mixer though. Either could work fine; depends on the personal pref's of onboard controls vs "virtual" ones in a DAW.

I think one AI will be enough. :thumbs up: Agreed, why muck around with an adaptor? Just get an AI or mixer. Not sure why you're saying get an AI vs a mixer though. Either could work fine; depends on the personal pref's of onboard controls vs "virtual" ones in a DAW.
The extra AI text is weird. Don't remember typing it in or pasting :(

The AI is capable of recording separate independent tracks at the same time. Most USB mixers that I'm aware of only send a stereo mix via USB to a DAW. If the OP doesn't care about editing individual tracks and is OK with a 'premixed' stereo recording, the mixer would likely be OK.

Thanks everyone.

I'm keeping this strictly small scale with my DP-03SD mini-studio and one external XLR mic. The mini-studio has phantom power.

For now, I'll just be recording my vocal and an acoustic guitar and want to use the AT2020 for both, but not at the same time.

I'm looking at an AT2020 XLR mic as a (digital) home studio starter. My local store has them for $99 + 20ft cable $5 + tabletop stand $7.

I'll be recording mostly acoustic and vocals with no amps or modules in the chain. I am planning on buying a Yamaha acoustic-electric later this year - I'm interested in blending the plugged and non-plugged sounds with that one.

Hi,
What's your question?

Hi,
What's your question?

I was just throwing my choice of mics out there to see what anyone might have to say.

If I had to put this as a question.. For around $100, would the AT2020 XLR mic be a good choice for all around vocal and acoustic guitar recording (to a Tascam DP-03SD with phantom power)?

Last edited:
I was just throwing my choice of mics out there to see what anyone might have to say.

If I had to put is as a question.. For around $100, would the AT2020 XLR mic be a good choice for all around vocal and acoustic guitar recording (to a Tascam DP-03SD with phantom power)?
I used the AT2020 for a while for vocals and acoustic guitar. It's an OK mic to start out with and should be fine with the DP03SD.

Back