AT2020 STILL Quiet after getting behringer uphoria

Jacob Gurule

So, I got an at2020, I already have another post about this whole problem. And I was recommended a behringer u-phoria, so I got it, and I plugged it in, and to my surprise, it didn't work. There are only 2 more problems now, either the mic itself is broken, or the XLR connecting the mic to the behringer is broken, but I dont want to spend more money to find out.
Don't get me wrong, its a lot louder now, but the static is even louder, and the quality is absolute shit. Any help would be appreciated!

You should be able to test/fix the cable without having to buy another one...so at least you can remove that from the list of possibles.

If you have another mic, you can use that to eliminate the other items besides the 2020.
Only other option is to try the 2020 with different gear/cables.

There's no other way to find out what's not working. You have to reduce it down to one thing before you can figure out what's wrong and fix it.

So, I got an at2020, I already have another post about this whole problem. And I was recommended a behringer u-phoria, so I got it, and I plugged it in, and to my surprise, it didn't work. There are only 2 more problems now, either the mic itself is broken, or the XLR connecting the mic to the behringer is broken, but I dont want to spend more money to find out.
Don't get me wrong, its a lot louder now, but the static is even louder, and the quality is absolute shit. Any help would be appreciated!

Could you post a clip demonstrating this static?

That is fucked up. Try anoher cable first man.

So what are you using for audio interface or are you? Laptop or Desktop? Monitors or headphones?

Sorry man, but I haven't been following your posts so not sure if you already stated this info.

That sounds like computer noise to me. Been a long time since I dealt with that...Balanced TRS cables to monitors solved it for me.

So what are you using for audio interface or are you? Laptop or Desktop? Monitors or headphones?

Sorry man, but I haven't been following your posts so not sure if you already stated this info.

Well, I'm not using an interface. It's Mic -> Behringer -> Computer

That's it really.

Well, I'm not using an interface. It's Mic -> Behringer -> Computer

That's it really.

I listened again and edited my post. That is not PC noise. It sounds like the mic cable is toast. You could buy a voltmeter to test it or just buy a new mic cable for the same cost. I think the cable is toast.

Are you 100% certain that the at2020/uphoria is selected as the input source?

Can you also confirm that the cable is XLR male to XLR female (no 1/4 or 3.5mm plugs involved), and that phantom power is enable on the uphoria?

As miro said, if you can get (borrow?) another microphone or cable, you can do some conclusive troubleshooting.
If that's a no-go, do you have a multimeter? You could test the the 3 XLR conductors for continuity quite easily, if you do.

If you put on headphones and mute any speakers, then press the direct monitor button, you can test the thing with the computer effectively out of the loop.

I have a nasty feeling your cable is toast too. Or it's not a balanced XLR cable.

I listened again and edited my post. That is not PC noise. It sounds like the mic cable is toast. You could buy a voltmeter to test it or just buy a new mic cable for the same cost. I think the cable is toast.

Alright, I just wasted 30 dollars on this psu lol. Ill get a cable and if it doesnt work ill make a new thread

If you were going from phantom supply straight into computer before then the Uphoria isn't a waste.
It may not have solved your immediate problem, but it was a good move regardless.

Can't you borrow a cable or microphone from a friend, church, school....anywhere?

If you were going from phantom supply straight into computer before then the Uphoria isn't a waste.
It may not have solved your immediate problem, but it was a good move regardless.

Can't you borrow a cable or microphone from a friend, church, school....anywhere?

nope

Not being funny, but no one's going to pop round to your house and fix it for you.
Answer the questions that people are asking, properly. Volunteer information instead of waiting for us to pry it out of you.

Re-read the whole thread and catch up on what you've missed, then we'll take it from there.

- Does it sound the same through headphones plugged into the UM2?
- Where is the 'MIC Gain' knob set (ex: 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock) and if turned almost full clockwise, can you get the clip light to flicker on?
- Tried different USB ports on the computer?

Not being funny, but no one's going to pop round to your house and fix it for you.
Answer the questions that people are asking, properly. Volunteer information instead of waiting for us to pry it out of you.

Re-read the whole thread and catch up on what you've missed, then we'll take it from there.

True. You would be best suited answering the questions asked. Why wouldn't you?

Are you 100% certain that the at2020/uphoria is selected as the input source?

Can you also confirm that the cable is XLR male to XLR female (no 1/4 or 3.5mm plugs involved), and that phantom power is enable on the uphoria?

As miro said, if you can get (borrow?) another microphone or cable, you can do some conclusive troubleshooting.
If that's a no-go, do you have a multimeter? You could test the the 3 XLR conductors for continuity quite easily, if you do.

If you put on headphones and mute any speakers, then press the direct monitor button, you can test the thing with the computer effectively out of the loop.

I have a nasty feeling your cable is toast too. Or it's not a balanced XLR cable.

oops i didnt notice this post sorry! No theres no way i can borrow one since i am new to the area and know nobody, its an xlr to usb and xlr to xlr for my mic to my uphoria. It is on, ive tested it both on and off, and I dont know what a multimeter is. My headphones dont fit in the uphoria. Sorry for late reply! Thank you

- Does it sound the same through headphones plugged into the UM2?
- Where is the 'MIC Gain' knob set (ex: 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock) and if turned almost full clockwise, can you get the clip light to flicker on?
- Tried different USB ports on the computer?

Ive tried it with all the way up and all the way down, there is a significant difference but they both sound awful, with a lot of static. I tried all of my USB ports, no difference there, and i didnt get the clip light to flicker on for even a split second.

Ive tried it with all the way up and all the way down, there is a significant difference but they both sound awful, with a lot of static. I tried all of my USB ports, no difference there, and i didnt get the clip light to flicker on for even a split second.

OK, first of all, your input signal is way to low. This will cause noise as well. If you look at the pic below, it is almost a -50dbs input level. This should be around a -12db to -18dbs.

View attachment 100431

So, from the mic to the UM2 into the computer and make sure you have the phantom switch turned on in the back. What DAW or recording software are you recording into? If you have tried everything mentioned in this thread and it still does not work, PM me your address and I will send you a xlr cable. I have about 60 of em.

- Switch the phantom power 'OFF' on the back of the UM2 and then try the MIC gain all the way down and then all the way up. Is the hiss/whine still there at about the same volume regardless of where the MIC gain is set?
- Are the POWER and +48v lights on the front of the UM2 nice and bright and not flickering when you speak into the mic?
- Have you tried playing music back through the UM2 and listening with headphones to assure playback through USB works OK?

A couple of good offers for the cable and it certainly is something worth trying.

Back