AT2020 STILL Quiet after getting behringer uphoria

OK, first of all, your input signal is way to low. This will cause noise as well. If you look at the pic below, it is almost a -50dbs input level. This should be around a -12db to -18dbs.

View attachment 100431

So, from the mic to the UM2 into the computer and make sure you have the phantom switch turned on in the back. What DAW or recording software are you recording into? If you have tried everything mentioned in this thread and it still does not work, PM me your address and I will send you a xlr cable. I have about 60 of em.

yes, I am positive the switch is on, and I like to use audacity to record

- Switch the phantom power 'OFF' on the back of the UM2 and then try the MIC gain all the way down and then all the way up. Is the hiss/whine still there at about the same volume regardless of where the MIC gain is set?
- Are the POWER and +48v lights on the front of the UM2 nice and bright and not flickering when you speak into the mic?
- Have you tried playing music back through the UM2 and listening with headphones to assure playback through USB works OK?

A couple of good offers for the cable and it certainly is something worth trying.

I did the first two things
1. I switched it off then turned it up, made no difference, but when I turned it on the static got louder, but so did my voice

2. Yes, they are on and nice and bright

3. I don't know how to play music through it.

If you have tried everything mentioned in this thread and it still does not work, PM me your address and I will send you a xlr cable. I have about 60 of em.

It's good, already ordered one with 2 day shipping. If it doesnt work i can just return it. Thank you SO much for the offer though!! :)

yes, I am positive the switch is on, and I like to use audacity to record

Audacity is 99% of your problem. Their forum is filled with thousands of people just like you, claiming the exact same problem. When you have to set your input level to 100% in Audacity, you bring your noise floor up with it also. You can read it for yourself, pack a lunch, you will be there for weeks. Also, Audacity CAN NOT read you new ASIO file supplied with your new interface.

Audacity is 99% of your problem. Their forum is filled with thousands of people just like you, claiming the exact same problem. When you have to set your input level to 100% in Audacity, you bring your noise floor up with it also. You can read it for yourself, pack a lunch, you will be there for weeks. Also, Audacity CAN NOT read you new ASIO file supplied with your new interface.

well other than audacity i use the "listen to this device feature" in recording devices, and it gives me the exact same thing.

well other than audacity i use the "listen to this device feature" in recording devices, and it gives me the exact same thing.
Again, it may not be using the proper file for playback. Can you plug in a mp3 player or something else, like your mic and listen from your headphone jack on the interface? If it is clear there, than the problem lies from that point forward.

Fork! Yet ANOTHER download protocol to figure out and dodge the included junk! Why can't peeps just attach short clips as high res MP3?

Anyhoos, normalized, the voice on that clip still sounds 'telephonic' there is a massive HP filter in there somewhere. Could be a seized mic diaphragm but more likely an Open Circuit some where, probably the cable.

It is in fact a testament to the Behringers pre amp that it produces as little noise as it does! Could still be that of course but unlikely (are there two?).

Why don't the headphones fit? My guess is they have a 3.5mm jack plug on them and the Uphoria takes a 1/4" plug. Again, if in UK I can jiffy you an adaptor.

But! FCS..ALL you noobs, get your collective A's to a car parts shop and buy a £5 'Rolson' or similar multimeter! I don't see how any working musician with electric gear or a home recordist can exist without one. Don't know how to use one? Get one and I'll tell ya!

At Mack: Don't know why you blame Audacity? I have used it for a good 6 years (mostly to test noob's clips!) and not only never had the OPs' problem but never heard of any other? Agreed it does not run ASIO but for its INTENDED purpose, an audio editor, it is extremely powerful and still free! I generally suggest it to newbs if they have nothing else if only because probably a million people out there have it and know how to use it, at least as a basic recorder.

Attachments

• Awful01.mp3
    194.7 KB · Views: 5
But! FCS..ALL you noobs, get your collective A's to a car parts shop and buy a £5 'Rolson' or similar multimeter! I don't see how any working musician with electric gear or a home recordist can exist without one. Don't know how to use one? Get one and I'll tell ya!

My multi meter also have a probe to show the temperature in F/C.

At Mack: Don't know why you blame Audacity? I have used it for a good 6 years (mostly to test noob's clips!) and not only never had the OPs' problem but never heard of any other? Agreed it does not run ASIO but for its INTENDED purpose, an audio editor, it is extremely powerful and still free! I generally suggest it to newbs if they have nothing else if only because probably a million people out there have it and know how to use it, at least as a basic recorder.

It is not that I blame Audacity, for the situations you described, it works fine. I do a lot of ACX work and it just kills me when people are told to get a ATR 2100 mic, plug it into your computer and use Audacity to record with. First of all, 99.9% of computers do not have the power to run the mic. Second, you have to crank the mic input up to 100% to even get close to the proper input level and you should never have to run your gear at 100%. Thirdly, when you do this, you bring your noise floor right up with it.

Now add in the factor that it is 32 bit only, can not read ASIO files, is not capable of doing multi-track recording, can not see changes in real time and the list goes on.

My multi meter also have a probe to show the temperature in F/C.

It is not that I blame Audacity, for the situations you described, it works fine. I do a lot of ACX work and it just kills me when people are told to get a ATR 2100 mic, plug it into your computer and use Audacity to record with. First of all, 99.9% of computers do not have the power to run the mic. Second, you have to crank the mic input up to 100% to even get close to the proper input level and you should never have to run your gear at 100%. Thirdly, when you do this, you bring your noise floor right up with it.

Now add in the factor that it is 32 bit only, can not read ASIO files, is not capable of doing multi-track recording, can not see changes in real time and the list goes on.

Yes Mack but none of the electronic failings of the mic or PC are the fault of Audacity. The noob does not need ASIO files at the beginning (if they had known better they would have bought a proper AI and mic and probably have some software with it)

Multitrack with ONE mic? Actually Audacity will run as many tracks as the AI can supply it. The DAW is about as simply to setup as it gets and is quite capable of doing what the total beginner needs to do, record and play files. The fact of it being 32 bit matters not a jot, in fact I bet fewer than 50% of the peeps coming here for first time advice KNOW whether their PC is 32 or 64 bits!

Dave.

Yes Mack but none of the electronic failings of the mic or PC are the fault of Audacity. The noob does not need ASIO files at the beginning (if they had known better they would have bought a proper AI and mic and probably have some software with it)

Multitrack with ONE mic? Actually Audacity will run as many tracks as the AI can supply it. The DAW is about as simply to setup as it gets and is quite capable of doing what the total beginner needs to do, record and play files. The fact of it being 32 bit matters not a jot, in fact I bet fewer than 50% of the peeps coming here for first time advice KNOW whether their PC is 32 or 64 bits!

Dave.

I am not going to argue with you Dave. Audacity IS NOT a multi track recorder, regardless of what they may claim. As far as being a 32 bit system, it simply is not for professional use. Maybe 10 years ago it was, but than again, that was only do to tech advances. As far as what the noob needs, just like everyone else, it is hard to make a decision when no one can agree on the same thing. Like I said, just go to their official forum and read the problems these millions of users are having.

The very first thing I do with any one using Audacity, is recommend getting a professional DAW. Just that simple. And yes, when you have to jack up the input in Audacity to 100% just to get a signal of -47.9dbs, IT MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

Dave.
Hey Dave, Have you been able to do more than one or two tracks at a time with Audacity? I've got a Tascam US1800 and while Reaper can be setup to recognize all the tracks the US1800 can throw at it simultaneously, I haven't had any luck doing the same with Audacity. I figured the Tascam drivers were doing an ASIO thing which Audacity doesn't like. I admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out since Reaper is easier to do in this respect.

"The very first thing I do with any one using Audacity, is recommend getting a professional DAW. Just that simple. And yes, when you have to jack up the input in Audacity to 100% just to get a signal of -47.9dbs, IT MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! " Not arguing Mack (don't have the chops!) I just don't see the connection between Audacity and signal levels?

If you connect a 'Generic USB Audio Device' to a Windows PC you need to set the record level in Window's software (no ASIO driver) As a rule, for USB this level will be way too high, default is 100% and will need to be pushed down to 5% or less to avoid nasty artefacts (they don't go away, just get pushed close to the -90dBFS or so noise floor). This problem obtains whenever you use the Windows internal sound system I even fell foul of it it with my 1st generation A&H Zed 10 16 bit mixer (they are now 24 bits) .

But! These level problems are the fault of WINDOWS not Audacity. I have used such USB crap* with Samplitude(s several versions) Adobe Audition 1.5 Reaper and others. All will perform badly unless Windoze levels are correct.

My point is that I do not want noobs to get the idea that Audacity is a 'bad' program as a starter DAW. It WILL give perfectly good results so long as the above matters are properly addressed. It is free and can be downloaded very safely and, as I said before, so many people know it noobs can get quick and accurate help. Yes! As soon as they 'get' this recording business I strongly urge them to buy a proper interface with ASIO drivers and get a DAW not an editor but their recording will not be one jot better quality than Audacity can achieve IF the PC is properly setup!

*The Behringer UCA 202 would perhaps come into that category but in truth they are very handy lil' boxes that are easily good enough for tape to PC dubbing..So LONG as you get those levels right! (and I often use Audacity for the purpose!)

My PC technicals are woefully lacking as Mr Steen' will testify! I therefore bow to the experts and crave their patience and input. If I am wrong in any particular I am happy to be corrected but these are the facts as I have come to understand them.

Dave.

"The very first thing I do with any one using Audacity, is recommend getting a professional DAW. Just that simple. And yes, when you have to jack up the input in Audacity to 100% just to get a signal of -47.9dbs, IT MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! " Not arguing Mack (don't have the chops!) I just don't see the connection between Audacity and signal levels?

Maybe this picture will help explain my concerns concerning input levels with Audacity. I used this for an article I wrote concerning using Audacity for ACX work. This is my mic using my setup. I used my AKG P12 running through my Tascam US 16x8.

View attachment 100439

If you connect a 'Generic USB Audio Device' to a Windows PC you need to set the record level in Window's software (no ASIO driver) As a rule, for USB this level will be way too high, default is 100% and will need to be pushed down to 5% or less to avoid nasty artefacts (they don't go away, just get pushed close to the -90dBFS or so noise floor). This problem obtains whenever you use the Windows internal sound system I even fell foul of it it with my 1st generation A&H Zed 10 16 bit mixer (they are now 24 bits) .

But! These level problems are the fault of WINDOWS not Audacity. I have used such USB crap* with Samplitude(s several versions) Adobe Audition 1.5 Reaper and others. All will perform badly unless Windoze levels are correct.

Again, this is the problem with Audacity. It is in their system. As per the picture above, I used an interface with Audacity and that was the best results I could get without peaking/clipping.

My point is that I do not want noobs to get the idea that Audacity is a 'bad' program as a starter DAW.

Even Audacity claims they are not a DAW. They are a mixing program that is better suited for taking audio from tapes and LPs and digitizing them.

*The Behringer UCA 202 would perhaps come into that category but in truth they are very handy lil' boxes that are easily good enough for tape to PC dubbing..So LONG as you get those levels right! (and I often use Audacity for the purpose!)

That has been my statement all along. That is what Audacity is great for. However, when you slap a mic into the mix and then try and use their "Noise Removal" filter, 9 out of 10 times you will "twang" your audio.

My PC technicals are woefully lacking as Mr Steen' will testify! I therefore bow to the experts and crave their patience and input. If I am wrong in any particular I am happy to be corrected but these are the facts as I have come to understand them.

Dave.

All one has to do is go to Audacity's official forum and see hundreds/thousands of users, posting the same problems, being given the same advice by 2 people, who were saying the same thing, 8 years ago concerning the background noise related to using a mic with Audacity. That is what noobs need to realize. It sucks spending 3 or 4 weeks trying different suggestions, just to find out that every problem goes away when you drop Audacity and move to a DAW system. Podcasters as well as ACX narrators make up the vast majority of users of Audacity in 2017, and they both use mics.

Mack Mark, I am wrong. Audacity will not run more than two tracks (but I am bloody sure I saw it somewhere! Don't get old)

Noise: Rigged the KA6 into Audacity and recorded an 'empty' track. Noise was awful from previous experience until I realized everything was set for 16 bits!

The attached picture is of the Audacity .wav track played in Samplitude SE8 (for the meters) and you can see the noise floor for the KA6 inputs 1/2 is around -112dBFS (as I would expect of any 'DAW')

I have also treated you to my dulcet tones. Mic is an AKG Perception 150 (SDC not NOTED for low noise) with the 10dB pad engaged because I was picking up room noise. The resultant noise floor is around -75dBFS and would be better with a quieter place (and a better mic!) because obviously the noise floor of Audacity (set to 32 bit float) Samplitude SE 8 and the KA6 is way better.

I had no bother at all getting a good, clean level at 0 setting on the mic.

I really am perplexed Mack. Been using Aud' for quite a few years off and on as I say and never had an issue, nor read of any but I will look at the forum.

Once again I plead PC numptyness! If any of my M.Os are at fault please correct.

Dave.

Attachments

• KA6 32 BIT FLOAT AUD.png
    KA6 32 BIT FLOAT AUD.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 6
  • p150 neg 10 ka6 aud01.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
You r not going crazy, Audacity stated their last release would do multi track recording. I am on my iPhone so I don't have a lot of time to respond to the rest of your post. I just wanted to say "You Ain't Losing Your Marbles". ???

You r not going crazy, Audacity stated their last release would do multi track recording. I am on my iPhone so I don't have a lot of time to respond to the rest of your post. I just wanted to say "You Ain't Losing Your Marbles". ������

Thanks Mack. You are obviously a gent as well as a scholar!

Dave.

Thanks Mack. You are obviously a gent as well as a scholar!

Dave.

I keep telling myself that Dave, the only problem is I can't get anyone else to agree. Well my wife does but what ya going to do after 32 years of wedlock?

Just so you know, I cut my teeth on Audacity about 15 years ago. If my pee brain can remember correctly.

OK GUYS I;M HAPPY TO SAY THAT THE XLR TO XLR WAS THE PROBLEM!! It just came in and it works like a charm. Thank you all so much for the help, I never wouldve done this without you! Thanks! :)

Back