AT2020 and Scarlet 2i2 Low Volume

Tentiger10

Hi, I have an AT2020 XLR mic and a Scarlet 2i2 interface. I noticed that the volume for this mic is really low unless I crank up the gain on the Scarlet (Which gives me a lot of background noise). I was wondering if there is a solution to this issue. I heard that it is caused by the pre amp in the Scarlet not being powerful enough.

And, a third question...what do you consider "low"? You should be recording with an average level of around -18dB and peaks up to maybe -10 or -6 at the most.

It's not just AT2020s. I'd say that the majority of LDC mics are very easy to get the wrong way around, especially if you're in a hurry.

Wait . . . how do you use a mic backwards?

The AT2020 is a side-address mic with a cardioid (directional) pick up pattern. Therefore only one side of the mic picks up properly. The other side has almost no pickup at all (you'll be getting mainly echoes off the wall behind the mic. Similarly, the end of the mic is where the pick up pattern is rolling off so you'll get some sound but it'll sound very "off mic".

The thing is, a good many side address LDC microphones are very lax about marking which side of the mic is active and which is the null. AT make this one even worse by putting a grill across the top so some people assume it's an end address mic.

I use 2 of these for drum overheads, I have no issues with input gain, matter of fact I usually have to pad them, make sure you have the Audio Technica logo facing the sound source, this is the front of the mic.

yeah once the setup is checked out and its still low, the preamp in USB powered units can be a weak link.
The source is also a big issue, if its a loud signal like drums or guitar amps no problem, vocals and quiet instruments better to get some gain help. My understanding is its sharing the 5v with everything else and that helps to the weakness.
I have a UX2/USB 22db gain, it benefits by a higher output mic but needs help on softer sounds via a outboard preamp.

at 14mv the AT2020 isnt bad...
but a 20+mv micmight help....
(and forget about the low sm57 and stuff without some gain help aka SM57 is 1.9mV Shure SM7 1.2mv.)
Some 25mv and greater mic's might be a better fit...but thats spending $$$.

Spend $$$...cloudlifter, outboard preamps or get a interface with AC and more gain.

that Scarlett 2i2 is -4 to 49db mic gain, which is 49db full blast and still maybe weak. (?ohm)
Scarlett 18i20 is 60db at 150ohm for example.

ISA One is almost 85 with output gain added. A Rane MS1 for $100 can do the same gain...

or get a louder aka more sensitive mic, 25mv to 30mv might help a lot.

This mic is also very easy to use backwards. I've done it!

Or perhaps into the end like an RE-20?

Would someone(noob) try to use the stand mounted mic shown below as an 'end fired' mic if not familiar with a condenser. Speak into the top grill :)

Attachments

• Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Podcasting-Mic.jpg
    Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Podcasting-Mic.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
Back