AT2020+focusrite scarlett vs blue spark digital

Sky Comet

Thanks to the price of The Pop these 2 come to around the same price.
I've heard the Spark sounds better, atleast the xlr version, but I'm wondering if the benefits of the interface are worth getting the at2020 for, you know 24bit/96khz vs 16bit/48khz.
I've heard people say the at2020 is harsh on the high end, but as a bass with a range of f2-e4 (not including falsetto) I'm wondering if it'll affect me.

So is the sound of the Blue Spark worth not having the benefits of the interface?

I have an AT and I have a Scarlett. I bought them indep. of each other. They work quite nicely together.

We are forever being told that you cannot tell which mic will suit your voice until you try a few?
So, think on, if you sound poor on the Spark you are stuck. If the SE is not good for you, you can at least flog it and try another (and you will have a "benchmark" as to what was wrong with the mic and the Vastly Knowledgeable here will be able to point you at something different).

Then, if it only has 16bit converters that USB mic likely has electronics little better than the ProSound I paid 40quid for!

Just can't see the point of USB mics except for Plug n Play Podders?

Dave.

What are you planning on recording/how are you going to use this?

Don't get a USB mic unless you want a simple 'plug and play' device for simple 1-mic recording, like voiceovers, etc. Read this sticky about USB mics.

Last edited:
I am planning to use it for recording vocals/voiceovers in an untreated room quite near a computer (not the best idea but oh well). The usb mics not being that good is part of the problem, a better sounding usb mic vs slightly worse xlr with a decent interface, kinda leaning toward at2020 and interface for now but the Spark is tempting.

Back