AT2020, Behringer C1, or pair of C2 or C4 or ???

Clarinet

These are all sub-$80 mics. I would be using it to record clarinet practice with from 1 to 4 clarinet players. Feedback not an issue - using headphones as monitor.

Please provide specific reasons for your suggestions.

How are you recording?
I would use a phantom power supply (as needed) through a 3 band equalizer/mixer to a 32 track keyboard USB'd into my laptop using Audacity and eventually mixing with midi via Anvil or Notation Composer. Recording space is a 1 1/2 car garage. 8' ceiling. With a car in it 1/2 the time. Up to 4 instruments playing (without the car - we all wouldn't fit at the same time.) Concrete floor. Popcorn ceiling. Walls covered with assorted tools, washer dryer, shelving filled with stuff. I would not call it a "live" room. No discernible reverb except a slight ringing on B above middle C - could be the washer/dryer. (I'm not being flip - these acoustical conditions are as significant as recording method, so thought I'd add.)

Last edited:
I think your heading for trouble with that set up.
You might as well record it on your phone in the garden.IMO
i'd spend the money on a half decent interface and then think about a mic if you want any sort of qaulity.
Read the sticky about recording with a computer and the one on audio interfaces.

I appreciate your guidance on recording technique and work flow and all that. However, I don't even own a microphone yet. So nothing else matters right now except my selection of microphones. I regret answering Moresounds question about "how are you recording." I was afraid it would take us off topic - and it did.

The topic is: AT2020, Behringer C1, C2 or C4 or or MX-- or something else???
"These are all sub-$80 mics. I would be using it to record clarinet practice with from 1 to 4 clarinet players. Feedback not an issue - using headphones as monitor. Please provide specific reasons for your suggestions."

If I was seeking info about an interface, someone will ask what kind of mics I'm using, declare its all wrong, and then that would take me off track from my question about interfaces.

So to stay on topic:
***Assuming I'm doing everything right with my interface and everything else folks may be concerned about***, what less-than-$80-mics can you recommend, or is anything less than AKG C-12 VR Vacuum Tube Microphone a piece of crap?

A ribbon or large diaphragm condenser is best for my application as described in my OP. No live venues - no performing involved. No broadcasting. No career depending on this. This is just to faithfully hear what I am practicing.

Well if you put it that way ..... **** ***!

Just kidding.
I would take a look the MXL 67g. I believe you can find them cheap on the net for about $89.

Now explain that recording set up again.

Well if you put it that way ..... **** ***!
Just kidding.
I would take a look the MXL 67g. I believe you can find them cheap on the net for about $89.

Here is the list I have to narrow down, not in any order. The MXL 67g is in there as one of the favorites.

Which ones should be eliminated and why?
Which ones are your favorites and why? The "whys" are important.
The numbers in parentheses are the number of reviews on Amazon.

Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone
by Behringer
4.3 out of 5 stars (116)
$59.99 See price in cart

MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
by MXL
4.8 out of 5 stars (26)
$169.95 See price in cart

Behringer C-3 Dual-Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone
by Behringer
4.1 out of 5 stars (17)
$89.99 $69.99

MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone
by MXL
4.6 out of 5 stars (56)
$279.00 $99.00

CAD GXL2200 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
by CAD
4.2 out of 5 stars (60)
$109.00 See price in cart

MCA-SP1 Large Capsule Condenser Microphone.
by MXL
4.7 out of 5 stars (7)
$99.95 $62.95

Audio-Technica AT2035 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone
by Audio-Technica
4.7 out of 5 stars (33)
$249.00 $115.24

Audio Technica AT2020 Side Address Cardioid Condenser Studio Microphone
by Audio-Technica
4.3 out of 5 stars (99)
$169.00 $69.66

Last edited:
For your purposes, I'd pick a 2020 pair over anything else on that list, because it is the closest thing on the list to an SDC. :)

Or you might consider a Naiant pair. That would probably be my vote.

Back