Art Tube MP vs. Joe Meek VC3Q

nezpierce

Newbie here.
gonna buy a pre amp and want to know who wins this battle?
(I know the VC3 has a compressor built-in so weigh in on the quality of that as well?)

Phantom Power + Mic selection combinations that work well with either unit are also appreciated.

Thanks<
nP

Re: Joe Meek V3Q

I have a V3Q, not the MP, and it's mic pre is of the "clean" variety rather
than tube. It's best suited for higher output dynamic mikes and condensers
(not my Shure Beta 87a condenser stage mike for example).
The compressor section is best suited for rock vocals, rather than pop
vocals (according to my taste YMMV).
The EQ, though limited, works pretty nicely to compensate for the
compression section, usually it sounds better than the "roll off" switch
on a mike.

P.S. I recall that Alan Hyatt mentioned an upcoming revisement of the
VC3Q, so if he sees this he may update us. It is quite likely that
the upcoming Studio Projects VT-1 will outperform both the ART
and Joe Meek in the "mic pre" department.

Thanks

Chessparov, thanks for the info. Obviously, cost is a concern as I picked some of the lower end units to start with, but I do hear good things from most folks about the Tube MP...

I used to have a VC3Q and the preamp had a slightly artificial tone, not what I would describe as "clean". It sounds similar to running through an exciter effect. I am NOT a fan of Joe Meek gear and I will never buy another one.

I have an ART Tube Channel that I like much better than the VC3Q. I don't know how close it is to the Tube MP, but I would assume they are similar. You could buy a Tube MP and an FMR- Really Nice Compressor for not a lot more money than the VC3Q. It would give you a more versatile, subtle compressor.

Wide Awake, my frame of comparison is limited to a Bellari MP105 tube mic pre (noisy) that I gave away, and my Aphex 107 tube mic pre (moderate tube tone).
Maybe that's why I prefer to run dynamic mikes through the V3Q over condensers
because of the "exciter effect" you mentioned as they tend to have a richer tone.

I have a Meek VC6Q (the same pre and compressor as the 3q, with an eq instead of an exciter and more controls for everything). I also have a Tube MP. I use the tube MP more as an effect, to get distorted or thick vocals. I use the Meek for everything else. Your preference may differ, but I wouldn't use the "exciter" effect on the VC3Q. Just use the pre and compressor and you'll be happy, it's a great pre for the price.

This is always the issue isn't it. One hears one way, and someone else hears another. You really need to try one out for yourself in your application. Guitar Center and others have a 30 day policy, so if you want to try one, you risk nothing.

Phil at ART is a good friend of mine, so I don't say much about his gear, other than the tube is in the output stage, so to use it, you have to push it. The Meek is a mic pre, compressor, EQ, DI, with dual outputs, so its a lot of bang for the buck. If you want testamonials, go to www.joemeek.com but again, all you get is opinions.

There is a replacement for the VC3Q that does beef up the mic pre and ads a mic/line switch. It will be called the MQ3, but you're lookin at 30 to 45 days. In either case, the VC3Q is a great box, and is well worth its price if that is what you're looking for.

As for the Studio Projects VT-1...well that is in a different league and will not be out until January. So, listen to what people say, but listen for yourself. :D

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Is that the right Joe Meek?

My understand was that if you were going to buy a Joe Meek, the VC1Q was really the way to go for the bang with the buck.

RB

My understanding is the VC3Q and VC6Q share the same preamp and compressor sections, with slightly different controls. The VC1Q has a different preamp, and costs 400$ more. As far as bang for the buck, I don't think you can beat the VC3Q for 200$.

Back