ART Tube MP Studio V3 preamp: Yes or No?

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hey...

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding purchasing an inexpensive, but quality sounding mic/instrument tube preamp. More specifically, I wanted to get some comments on the ART Tube MP Studio V3 mic preamp, as it seems to have the basic features I'm looking for. I've read other posts here regarding this topic, but I haven't found any references to this product, or all the pre's discussed are out of my price range.

I will be using this mostly for:
1. vocals (mic: Studio Projects C1),
2. electric & acoustic guitars (mics: C1, SM57, SM58, & other condensor mics),
3. bass (direct in, maybe mic'd...)

Now, I know that there are many big-buck high-quality preamps out there, but I don't want to spend any more than $149.99 (US) on this thing as it's for my home studio. Currently, I'm just using the built-in pre's on my Aardvark DP 2496. Will anything in this low of a price range even make a difference?

Thanks!

-Mr. Moon

--
Hear me at:

http://www.soundclick.com/MrMoon
- and -
http://www.soundclick.com/VictimsOfReality

Mr. Moon,

From what I understand, these sound the same as the regular ART MPs, which is not bad. I've got two of the regular MPs; they're definitely good preamps, and they do an excellent job on direct bass recording. However, unless you need all the bells and whistles, you might just want to get the Tube MP instead of the Studio V3. You won't get the meter and the presets, but you'll also pay a lot less and get the same sound.

Also, I've got a M-Audio DMP2 for sale for $125. Two channels of crystal clear preamps. Very well regarded on this board. Preamps are equal to, if not better than the ones on the new Mackie boards. Review at http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/Reviews/2000/June/DMP2.htm . E-mail me at beermeister@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Good luck!

Ryan

My first preamp was a Toob MP (you have to spell it that way around here to keep the to keep the peace), and I still think for what they are, and what you pay for them , they're a very decent preamp. They have their detractors, and I can't argue that it's a colored pre, but I've gotten some very nice tracks out of it, including some very thick bass tracks. I'd look at the OPL version, which stands for Output Protection Limiter, I believe. I also find it a very warm acoustic guitar pickup preamp for live use. It's a DI, it's a lot of things even after you buy a nicer pre. And I think there's always a time when the nicer pre's you buy down the road just aren't right for a track, and the Art pre will be just the ticket. I'd give it a listen first, and if you like it, get it. It will give you a new flavour to choose from.
Cheers, RD

I picked up the last SP VTB-1 in the area at my local music store 5 miles away; the only SP authorized dealer anywhere within several hundred miles of me!! What luck!!

...And I'll be picking up an RNC 1773 on Wednesday to use too! Hopefully the combination of the two new effects will help with recording vocals...

Anyways..., I have another recording session this weekend with the vocalist who's been helping me out by laying down some vocal tracks on a tune of mine, called "War13" a very-rough-mix of which can be found here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/mrmoonmusic.htm

Yeah, I know.. they're not finalized right now and that's why we're re-recording them... Also, rushed mix just to hear how the vocals worked.

I will post my results and updated song after this weekend's session. I'm sure the tune will be named something like "War14" to alleviate any confusion.

-Mr. Moon

Yes

Yes.

I like mine! There are cleaner pres out there for the money if you don't want toob. But if you want the extra color/warmth/pleasant distortion, or whatever you want to call it, the V3 is pretty versitile. For a couple more bucks you can get the TPS (2 channels in a rack- $180ish), and for a couple more still you can get the DPS (with digital in/outs $250ish).

Back