Apex 435 Randomly Dies

mjaredburt

Hey guys, this is my first post here so I hope I will get some help.

I've been using my Apex 435 for about two years when all of a sudden it just died, no output whatsoever.

I took it apart and I made sure all the wires were soldered on and everything was connected (and they are), so I've attached a couple of pictures of the circuit board.

Thanks!!

Mike

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 90
Update: I re-soldered the two joins for where the circuit board meets on to the actual mic inside the mesh part, and it's a cleaner solder with insulation going right up to the edge.

What's weird now is that it makes a loud buzzing sound (kind of like a light-saber lol)...

any ideas?

Thanks!!

That's the sound of a bad ground or DARTH VADER IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU!! :eek:

You got pictures of the capsule it's self?

Yep, uploading them now. Now this is where it gets even weirder...my mic is somehow emitting the sounds from a local radio station! I don't know what is going on its really freaky.

I also moved the silver wire coming from the mic cause I realized it was in the wrong spot, the right pic of the electronics is attached.

This is possibly the weirdest thing I've ever experienced with audio gear... haha

Thanks for your response

Attachments

• entire-mic.jpg
    entire-mic.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 85
  • mic-close.jpg
    mic-close.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 86
I'd expect a mic to tune nearby radio stations if you don't have the case on over the capsule and/or forgot to put in whatever screws ground the grille. That would be my first guess....

all I can is (and please try to see the humor in this), I'm very happy for you that your 435 is giving you trouble so finally you can buy a better mic.

I dealt with 435s for a while... damn they are bad sounding mics compared to other budget LDCs these days. 435s are one of the oldest chinese LDC mics and they sound like it. that harsh high end, lack of lower mids.... but they're fun to mod.

Where are the screws around the XLR connector? I just bought the mic and don't have it in front of me but I don't recall seeing any screws. Maybe someone can post a photo ?

Where are the screws around the XLR connector? I just bought the mic and don't have it in front of me but I don't recall seeing any screws. Maybe someone can post a photo ?

Am sorry I was thinking of another microphone.
The bottom of the body of the 435 will screw off then the body slides off.

Back