Apex 205 mods

pylet2000

Well, bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Apex 205's. Found an Ebay listing and offered $85 per mic with free shipping. The seller took it, so I got two. There were a few mor available, btw...

So I'm going to mod both of these. I've read about removing the internal windscreens, and possibly the inner mesh material on the grill. I'm working on ordering two Cinemag transformers, should help matters out a bit.

Is there anything I can do in 'tuning' or 'adjusting' the ribbon? Or should I just leave it alone?

Perhaps I could be a sport and mod these one at a time so I can record some A/B comparison clips for you all. :)

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!

transformer options

In looking around for transformers, I found a few options with varying prices. Anybody got any opinions on this?

The Cinemag CM-9888 would be a good tranny I'm sure, it sells for about $47 per. There is the EDCOR RMX1 available for about $22 per. Would I notice much difference between the two?

Could I expect to notice a big improvement from the EDCOR over the cheap Chinese model?

Thanks again!

Back