Apex 205

while I respect jim immensely, I find it hard to understand a noise floor issue with apex 205 ribbon mics (which I use extensively for, yes, violin and vocals, and also guitar cabs).

They have no noise floor that I can hear - if your preamp is noisy then yea with the high gain needed for ribbon mics you can have issues, but the mic itself has a terrific s/n ratio from my experience.

and to anyone curious about the apex 210, NEVER EVER EVER buy the apex 210 instead of the 205. it has the same ribbon setup in a larger, and therefore more impressive, mic body. but it has grill and body ringing issues and also has inferior HF probably due to the grill size or design.

the 205 is a cheaper and yet vastly less annoying mic to use with basically the same performance or better.

This guy:
Xaudia - Ribbon microphone Repair & Service
Seems to be doing some amazing stuff in the UK if you are up for mods here.
I contacted him about modding my 205s (alctron hrm-8b). he does a re-ribbon and hand winds transformers in his workshop, all for a very reasonable rate! Very helpful guy with a lot of experience. I have not yet sent anything to him, but I am certainly going to!! Would be worth your while talking to him about mods you are thinking about. I am not affiliated in any way. just found him on the net by chance. Thought I would share the love!! We are a bit short of mic modders over here in the UK!
long

He (Stewart) wound a transformer for my reslo a few weeks back.

It's my first step into ribbon mics so I have no benchmark, but I've been happy with the result and very much so with the service.
Good rate too, as you say.

Awesome
Stewart seems like a guy who knows his onions (ribbons!) for sure! I have been looking into getting new trannies in my 205s for a while, and this is such a good deal I am just gonna have to do it!!

I will certainly report back once I have done it

long

Do let us know how the mods go and i might get mine done too. I've only heard good things about xaudia.
I listened to steens recent recordings in the mp3 clinic on that newly modded reslo and they are impressive.

i'm certain there is a lot to be said for a good artist too but if it's not well recorded too it aint worth diddley squat. You did a great job steen

....As you were.....

Getting along like a house on fire mate.

By the way i'm going to email xaudia and see wht they can do for my ribbon and at what price so thanks Paul.

Back