Apex 205

guitarguy101

I was looking to get an APEX 205 (or 2) for my first ribbon. Thoughts? Also, would I need two to record vocals, (I only do stereo,) or would one suffice?

i was thinking of getting this mic too
any experience shared would be a help
mic pre is alice mic pak (is this enough )

already own the pre it kicks ass next to my old pre's
apex 205 runs around £75 in uk
cant make up my mind between the 205, 210 or alctron hrm 21 dual ribbon
i intend to use it on male vocals and acoustic guitars.
cascades looks nice but most are hard to source here and are out of my budget. I'd love to own one the vinjet and other large models look really impressive. maybe in the future i will invest in one when work picks up.

Actually I was planning on using it for the same things kip4 said. Also, would it function as a drum overhead/drum mic of any kind? I only have two sm-57s now, but I love ribbon mics. I'm in a good sounding room, so reducing ambient noise isn't an issue. I'm also planning on picking up the Audio Technica condenser (The $60 large diaphragm one.)

I've just ordered the apex 205
i decided to go with the 205 as the guy has spare ribbon assemblys if i have an accident
cant wait to get it. i'll post again when i've had a play.

this is like a whole differant breed of microphone
its like learning from scratch when your used to dynamics and condensors.
mic position is all. I like a challange and after my initial tests im happy i've got a bang for the bucks mic.

I was looking to get an APEX 205 (or 2) for my first ribbon. Thoughts? Also, would I need two to record vocals, (I only do stereo,) or would one suffice?

Well, if you really want a vocal track to be stereo, you would need two, but unless you're recording in a concert hall and you're trying to capture the natural reverb, normally vocals are tracked close-up in mono and panned to center within the stereo mix rather than wasting a second track on what will be nearly an identical signal on both channels.

mic position is all. I like a challange and after my initial tests im happy i've got a bang for the bucks mic.

Thought you would find THIS an interesting read Kip. All about the different ribbon microphones. This guy Michael Joly was just in Ireland Setting up shop there He is branching out and will start to offer Microphone Mods for Europe at a great price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link moresound.
i've done a fair bit of research into ribbons and maybe now i know what it sounds like and am growing in confidence buying a second Alctron hrm8 with modding in mind is a distinct possibility. they make great room mics and i did a mid side experiment this morning with good results.
this technique will come into its own when i get guitarist/ singer into do projects.

btw its not me who wants to record stereo vocals.
However i'd like to ask if anyone uses a ribbon as a room mic for recording vocals and use it for ambiance (maybe apply reverb and just use the wet signal to blend into the dry (ldc) vocal track )

when will the european mod service be available does anyone know.
this may help euro customers save on shipping and is much more attractive than the thought of sending mics off to america.

I compare it to fly fishing versus dynamite.

do you both use ribbons? for what?
i fancy giving it a go on a banjo and ukalele. penny whistle and shakers

I've used them on my own albums and love them for vocals and violin but they really can get in the way of getting the job done.
There is also the noise floor to contend with.
So as long as it's for your own stuff then it's well worth the time spent but you may want to look at a Royer, AE or Blue Woodpecker if someone is paying you for the time.
The most under-rated, budget ribbon (in my opinion) is the Nady RSM 5 followed by the Nady RSM2.
I've sold all of mine except the Golden Age MK II and matching preamp.
Just love it to death and it was my avatar and go to mic until I bought the AKG Solid Tube.
Now it sits on the desk. Permanently hooked up to the Korg for tuning and intercom.

Back