Anyone tried using SM81's for acoustic guitar?

Lanstar0

I will be recording a band today consisting of 2 acoustic guitars, cello, drums and 2 vocalists. I started working at the studio where I will be recording them recently and haven't had a chance to fully explore their mics.

What experience have any of you had with using SM81's on acoustic guitar?

Here is a list of their mic list:
Nuemann U87
Neumann TLM103
Blue KIWI
Blue Dragonfly
2 SM81's
Beyer M500
AKG D112
SM 57's
Rode NT2

What of the above would you use for acoustic? I'm thinking about setting up the U87 as a room mic most of the tracks.

I also have Oktava MK012's at my disposal (they are mine :))

Lastly, which of the above would you suggest using for cello. This'll be my second time recording cello. I was thinking of trying the Dragonfly or the U87..?

Thanks in advance!

SM81s are an industry standard on acoustic. Not to say other mics aren't used or can;t be used, but the SM81s are used A LOT for this purpose.

bubbagump said:
SM81s are an industry standard on acoustic. Not to say other mics aren't used or can;t be used, but the SM81s are used A LOT for this purpose.

Thanks! I also live in Columbus, BTW.

What would you recommend for cello? I'm going to try a few mics out before commiting, but I was hoping to get some suggestions.

Two more 81's. :eek:

Maybe the 103 & the Dragonfly for the cello...

Actually, I'd probably put an 81 on each of them close, then experiment with the others a bit more distant for flavor. Just a thought. Of course, if you're going for the stereo pair thing...

I've also use 012 pairs on cello dozens of times with quite good results.

You got some experimenting to do, I think.

SM-81 x 2 = great choice

bubbagump said:

+1

I use them for acoustics all the time. VERY accurate.

They are miles above Oktava's and Marshall's, IMO. Best sound Ive ever gotten. Im sure there are better for more money, except maybe the Stapes omni pair.

I'll second the SM81s. They sound great on lots of stringed instruments (mandolin, fiddle, banjo, guitar) where you want a lot of the tonality of instrument without a too much room noise.

If only I had a cello I'd use 'em on that too.

My Sm81

I've tried to like my Sm81 pointed at an acoustic guitar for fifteen years with no luck. I point my AKG C451EB at anything and it just works out great and then I try my SM81 and it sounds harsh and flat. So it's been on my hats forever.
Although I did record a fiddle last summer with good results.

On the other hand IMO one of the best sounding mics I've ever heard on acoustics is the AKG C480B w/CK 61-uls capsule......Some day I'll have a pair.

C

Just out of curiosity, have any of you compared SM81s to Km184s on acoustic or anything else? What did you like better?

The sm 81's are a studio and sound reinforcement standard on acoustic. So is the U87. I'd put the SM81's in coincedent or ORTF 3-4' from the guitar, and the U87 about 12" off the 12th fret, bass cut on. Depending on the guitar, the room, and the style of play, one or the other, or a blend of all three should be fine. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of the U87 alone. It's the best mic they have. I have a Kiwi, and it's my #1 personal vocal mic, but it's never thrilled me on my acoustic. The TLM103 may also be very good on the 12th fret, and is worth trying. Best of luck- Richie

Thanks!

This what I ended up doing:

I recorded the acoustic tracks with the SM81's in a stereo pair (xy in front of the 12fth fret) and also put the U87 about 3-4 feet back away from the guitars, which ended up sounding nice. However, we ran out of tracks (HDR) so I ended using just the SM81 tracks .. oh well .. I can always import the file (with the U87 tracks) into Pro Tools and do a mix from there.

The cellist couldn't show up .... :(

I uploaded the song to my Sounclick site - i'll only have it up there for an hour or so, so listen quick! :)

The playing is a little rough in spots, and the acoustic guitar they used was not my favorite...

Here it is:

EDIT: took song off, per consideration of the band...

Last edited:
Well, the guitar doesn't sound too bad, except for some finger noise that could use some EQ. The biggest problem is somebody told them they can sing. It's going to be an autotune kind of day-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Well, the guitar doesn't sound too bad, except for some finger noise that could use some EQ. The biggest problem is somebody told them they can sing. It's going to be an autotune kind of day-Richie

Yeah, I hear the finger noise. Not the best mix, but it was actually a "practice session"; the owner let me record a song for free for this band (some friends of mine) to get aquainted with the studio. They are all around 18 years of age, so I'm sure they will get better in time, as I will with my 19 years in the world... :)

Back