Anyone still use the AKG D190E?

jimmy_LD

I a/b'ed this with a 57 and a 58 this morning, and I couldn't believe how clear it sounds.

Anyone still use these in studio sessions?
I'd love to get my hands on another of these.

Jimmy

The D190 was an inexpensive AKG dynamic which never achieved much popularity. Do a google search on D190 and you'll find plenty of used ones for sale from studios for $75 or so. Frankly, if you like the sound of AKG dynamics (I do), either buy a new d770 or 880s, they're almost the same price as that 190 and they're better mics in general. Or, if you want a real deal, go to the nearest Guitar Center, and find out if they have a D690, a discontinued model. They were $80 or so new, but I recently talked GC into selling me one for $36! I assure you I would not use an SM57 for vocals if I had a D690 lying around. It's also fair to say that I would not use a D690 on a guitar cab if I had a 57 lying around,-Richie

I have two d190es (the s stands for switch, otherwise its the same mic). Theyre ok, but i really like the sm57, md421. md441 etc etc (your regular dynamics) better.

AKG D190E For Electric Guitar

I picked one of these up the other day used in a load of equipment I bought at a rummage sale. I have tried it in front of an Allen Hot Fudge 1x12 with an Eminence Red Fang (A speaker I hated until I understood it), the same Allen ran through a Marshall JCM 900 4x12" Slanted Cabinet wired stereo. A breadboard apparatus that (hopefully) I will eventually be satisfied with and put in a proper cabinet -it is a hammond organ amp originally. Through Epiphone Valve Junior head ran through a little 8" open back box, the 4x12" and my favorite tone at my disposal is the bone-stock epi ran through the Allen w/ Eminence. I mic it about an inch off center about 5 degrees off axis to tame some of the highs inherent in the Red Fang (It is Eminence's answer to Celestion's AlNiCo Blue (whichever one comes in Vox AC30's) This speaker sounded shrill untill I broke it in. It just gets better and better now. One of my gripes has always been amps/speakers/mics, basically EVERYTHING not having the "right" treble. This combination does.

I do not own an SM57 or 58 to compare it with (been a LONG time since I even used one) but I am really diggin' the tones I get with the AKGD190E.

Now if I could just record something I actually WANT TO HEAR AGAIN...

That's another Forum!

I wonder...

...what are you considering a "normal" condenser mic? and what is abnormal about the AKGD190xx? I have use sm58's but its been awhile. To my memory, the only real difference I can tell is that the AKG does not record as LOUD as a shure. But it does sound good to my ears.

I'm no expert on mics. I just wonder is there some kind of fundamental difference?

Thanks

...what are you considering a "normal" condenser mic? and what is abnormal about the AKGD190xx? I have use sm58's but its been awhile. To my memory, the only real difference I can tell is that the AKG does not record as LOUD as a shure. But it does sound good to my ears.

I'm no expert on mics. I just wonder is there some kind of fundamental difference?

Thanks
These are all dynamic mics, not condensners.

By 'normal' he meant 'the usuals suspects', or 'the popular ones that everyone has and uses'. The D190 isn't the mic that you run into a lot. Especially not as much as the 57, 58, 421, SM7, RE20, etc...

using vintage pair I inherited

I a/b'ed this with a 57 and a 58 this morning, and I couldn't believe how clear it sounds.

Anyone still use these in studio sessions?
I'd love to get my hands on another of these.

Jimmy

• A couple of years ago my brazilian friend and I recorded a lounge latino album with my fathers pair of AKG D190E/200 microphones. My brazilian friend loved using them and he said he wanted me to write them in my will for him!

We got great results with sung and spoken voice, plus accordion, guitar, and brazilian percussion instruments. The effect was all beautifully quiet and loungy (not loud salsa party).

These AKG's had not been out of the box for 35 years. I thought I may as well give them a go and see what results we could get! Turned out to be a real treat. No quality issues. No problems from age and random storage! ! Must be quality made and tough!

My father used them for tape recording studio orchestra work for radio around 40 year ago in his home recording studio in my little old home town of Dargaville New Zealand.

After dad died in the 1980's, I had them just sitting in original boxes, but randomly stored in my fathers tape recorder cabinet. In no particular special northern New Zealand conditions (hot in summer / cool in winter) . AMazing.

This thread was started in 2003 (12 years ago) and was revived in 2010 (5 years ago) and now in 2016 here we are again. Please check the posting dates before activating an old thread.

Alan.

holy thread resurrection.jpg

5 years between them is probably about right as new people come into the recording arena and come across them. I think I have 5 of them, and looking back, in the UK they were extremely popular in Houses of Worship because of the look first - all silver, and because they do a good job on voices, like most of the AKG range. They sound pretty neutral - which means they don't really have any noticeable character, like the 202 and 222. They're rather like a pretty 57 - and do most things reasonably well. They're a good choice on 'windy' sound sources like brass, as the windshield is pretty good - better than a 57. I happily use them for all sorts - including when I'm pushed, drum overheads. They just don't get people excited. Nice to talk about them again.

The D190[/URL] was an inexpensive AKG dynamic which never achieved much popularity.

Really ???

The D190 was one of the most popular microphones AKG ever made.

In its day it was in almost every church and village hall and the gooseneck version was always the talkback mic. of choice.

In, effect, it was the poor man's D202.

It was an OK neutral dynamic that could be put to a lot of uses and was bought when people could not afford a better mic.

I still have one in my mic. locker.

It's nothing special, really, but it is a good inexpensive dynamic workhorse.

You know the post you are responding to is 13 years old?

I fell for a similar resurrection 6 years ago.

I mean compared to say, SM57. It wasn't a major mic for cover bands or recording in the U.S., but was very popular in Europe. All I meant was- when you post up and ask-"What's a good cheap dynamic?", it's not usually at the top of the list of answers. I agree with you John- it was, and still is, a cheap, versatile, dynamic workhorse. I still have a pair, and they see a fair amount of use, both for recording, talkback, and live sound reinforcement.

Back