Anyone have both a C1 and SM7 or SM7B?

Bodhisan

Hillbilly
I've got a C1. I like it. But I've read so much about the SM7 (or SM7B), that I was wondering if anyone who had both would give me their opinions on the differences -- specifically on recording vocals, pros and cons, etc.

Bodhisan

The SM7 when left at "flat" is very smooth.
Excellent try for sibilant vocalists (like me!) that the C1 would need to be de-essed on.
Also takes EQing very well, important if you want to add "air" around 12 kHz BTW.
It will work well on most vocalists reputedly, yet the EV RE20 edges it in that regard and is easier for inexperienced vocalists
due to the variable-D feature IMHO.
When the SM7 does work though(often), it can be superior to any other mic choice.

Chris

I don't think you could get much different.

If you're used to the C1, an SM-7 would be such a radically different sound it might be kind of a shock to your system.

I have both. As most will tell you, the SM7 is smooth. It's been an R&B staple for years. The C1 covers more of the pop end, airy and bright (some might say too bright). They are definitely different enough to want both in your collection. The C1 is a mic that you may someday replace with a higher end condenser. The SM7 you will hang onto forever.

I hope that was helpful.

I own a C-3 and an SM7B. Everything that has been said is true. The C-3 is a mic I use for a certain kind of vocal sound. The SM7 is a mic I use for a certain kind of vocal sound, and a certain kind of cab sound, sax sound, tom sound, snare sound, flute sound, voiceover sound, djembe sound....Get it?-Richie

I have both. Besides whats been mentioned already, the SM7 is also especially good on "screaming" vocals. To my poor ears, it sounds very similar to an sm57 on a lot of material - just a bit better.

If you didn't already know, I believe an sm7 was used for Michael Jackson's vocals on the Thriller album.

-lee-

I use to have both, (upgraded C1) and I still have the SM7... the SM7 is a great mic... it sounds like a SM57 on steroids.

Yea, I think that's a good assesment.

If mics were women ... the C-1 would be the average-looking girl you date for a while until you can find someone better.

The SM-7 is more like the girl you initially go out with thinking it's going to be a temporary thing ... but for some reason, you just can't seem to get rid of her. And even if you do, you kinda' realize later you screwed up, and you call her again, trying to get her back.

Then you start following her to work and ... oh yea, this is microphones. Sorry.

I am quite inexperienced compared to these guys but as a novice i really really like my c1. It does give a bright sound like they say which on most things really flatters a voice. Even poor singers sound good rich and full with the c1. I do not own the shure mic but it seems to me to have a much darker sound which is a lot less flattering to the average vocalist. For vocalists who scream alot or sing in augmented and diminished scales alot the sm7 can add a certain sound that really adds to it but i think it would be difficult to own just a sm7 and no other condenser unless your inlove with that sound or only record that type of singing. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Nah, it really doesn't matter what scales they use. The C1 is a nice, full range pop mic with the 5 and 12k push (#s might be a little different but thats where I hear it) The sm7 is flat and natural, and I mean that in a good way. I love my sm7 on all kinds of stuff and I like the C1 and C3 for other stuff too
PS the sm7 is a dynamic

Big Kenny said:
The sm7 is flat and natural ...

I really wouldn't call it that. :D It is a little flatter without the presence switch engaged. With the presence switch on, it kinda' turns in to an SM-57 ... only a much smoother-sounding version.

But it's got the same capsule as the 57, so it's obviously very similar. Only the housing and the electronics are so much classier, what comes out is smoother, less grainy, and at the same time more detailed. It's as if someone took a 57 and made it in to a good mic.

Back